Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would They Attack Me

Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my areas is infested with them. There are fewer deer there now by far. Time to thin them this winter. Landowner wants them gone too.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i wouldnt worry about it, and im sure you could easily defend yourself with a knife or your hands.
I've never been worried about them and I intentionally sit down and try to call them to me. They will almost always get downwind from you and you CANNOT fool a coyotes nose. Once they wind you they will shy off. Of course when you resemble Sasquatch, most critters would probably not wanna tangle with ya'!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

This thread looks to be like one of those Miller Lite "Man-Up commercials"

Killing coyotes is one of my favorite hobbies. Get out there and take care of the problem.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Thats unusual. Coyotes will not get around human sent, unless something was wrong with them. Also, coyotes are not pack animals, so to see a pack of them is unusual in itself. As for them attacking, i would not worry one bit about it.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Bucktail_Bob
This thread looks to be like one of those Miller Lite "Man-Up commercials"

Killing coyotes is one of my favorite hobbies. Get out there and take care of the problem.
It would be if I screamed or pee pee'd my shorts,which I did not do I'll have you know! I grabed my knife and a razor tiped arrow and prepared for what ever would happen. As was stated I have seen some pretty big yotes in my area and since I know little about them I thought I would ask those who hunt them and know something of their tendencies. Wether they pack up or not as a rule that night they were in a good sized group based on the racket they were making. We hope to take as many out as possible when we get the chance,in Indiana you can't use rifles only shotguns,ML or single shot 44 mag pistol ammo. A good long range rifle would give us a better chance I think.

Last edited by doetrain; 10-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen at least 6 hunting together in NH. Three is the most I have seen in Indiana. A 22 Mag is about right for coyotes where I hunt.

I shot one of a pair once while bowhunting. The one I did not shoot went nuts, kept barking and growling, but just out of sight. It followed me as I left the area too, but kept just out of sight. What a racket it made.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I have seen at least 6 hunting together in NH. Three is the most I have seen in Indiana. A 22 Mag is about right for coyotes where I hunt.

I shot one of a pair once while bowhunting. The one I did not shoot went nuts, kept barking and growling, but just out of sight. It followed me as I left the area too, but kept just out of sight. What a racket it made.
A 22 Magnum rifle is good for killing yotes? What range would they have to be in for this small caliber rifle to be accurate and effective? The rounds would sure be cheap thats for sure.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think it would be fine out to 75 yds. I'm talking about a scoped gun, and calling them in the woods. For open fields the .223 class guns are better for sure.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any animal will attack, don't think they won't and don't think they'll kill you out right. A scratch maybe more than enough to make you very sick. If one happens to bit you you'll have to be tested for rabbis as a start.