Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blood trailing and scent contol?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Blood trailing and scent contol?

Everyone has been there, you shot a deer but trailed it longer and used more people then you expected. Do you think putting more human scent in the timber when tracking can affect you hunting in the next couple days? If so how long do you wait until you hunt that area again? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I'd give it at least a week.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I agree, about a week. Even if I don't have to track a lot, if I take a deer out of a stand I like to let that area rest.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I will hunt it the next day if I want to, i shto an 11 pointer opening day and got a nice doe in the same exact stand 24hrs later.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends...I take hunters to our family farms in eastern NC, have had them since the mid-60s...We have some stands that are just "hot"...Call them travel routes, pinch points or whatever, bucks just seem to come through these areas...When you hunt an area the local does would be the ones to know, a good buck may have come from a few miles away looking for ladies...He could easily show up anytime...Many times we have killed nice bucks from stands on back to back days...

I don't run away from proven hot spots...
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of what determined my length was time of year. If it's pre-rut or peak rut, I'd hunt it the next day...but this early I think it's best to let it rest, regardless if it's a hot spot. Don't want to over hunt it.