Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old PA Giant

Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Old PA Giant

I didn't stand hunt this evening due to the pouring down rain that spoiled the PA opener, so I decided to drive to a few of my other hunting spots and check for deer activity in this less than perfect weather. What I found in one of the fields was a giant old buck, 170"+, moseying along by himself in one of the fields. I don't know exactly where he came out but I know which patch of woods.

For all you avid bowhunters who have hunted 5 and 6 year old intelligent bucks who experienced hunting pressure, what are their habits? I'm shocked that he even made an appearance during the daylight this far in advance of the rut. I'm thinking that if I have any chance at all of bagging this buck, that I have to be as close as possible to his bedding area without spooking him. Then hope he makes another just before dark appearance.

Do these larger mature bucks move much? Do they pretty much bed in the same general area day after day? Do they follow a routine most days traveling a path where they feel safe? Or do they travel a large varying range like younger bucks? I've never hunted a buck of this magnitude. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

He won't go far from his home area, and will most likely stick to the same feeding pattern. But, he won't do the same thing each day though - so don't depend on him coming out in the same spot.