Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cracks in riser

Old 08-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cracks in riser

How can you tell if it is a crack in the riser or if its just a scratch on camo? I was checking out my bow last night and saw a few little nicks just above where my stabilizer screws in and was wondering what they were. I really hope they' re aren' t cracks in the riser though. Thanks for the help
Old 08-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cracks in riser

Can anyone help me on this one?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

titleist, if you are not sure if you have a crack in the riser or a scratch, I would either do one of two things. First take it to a decent proshop. If you can' t do that, I would send it back to the company and have them examine it.

That said, where is the suspected crack, the crack will ussually extend to the an outer surface of the the limb, and can ussually be visable. Most cracks seem to happen in between the forks (running lengthwise with the limb), or at the limb pockets (running against the limbs). Also associated with a limb crack is a popping noise which is ussually pretty distinct. If you are hearing this noise, don' t shoot the bow again. Use a magnifying glass if necessary to examine the limb.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is your bow cast magnesium or machined aluminum? I doubt it' s a crack if machined aluminum. If it' s magnesium, it' s much more likely. But if you have any doubt at all, even the least doubt whatsoever, send the bow back to the factory. Better to be without a bow a couple months than be without your teeth if that riser breaks.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not sure on the magnesium or aluminum thing. Maybe you can tell me. It' s a 2002 Hoyt Magnatec with ZR 200 limbs and the " versa cam" . The cracks or scrathes I' m seeing are not on the limbs, they are just above the stabilizer bushing.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry titleist, I read too fast.

One other thing, that I may suggest doing if you don' t want to send it back and don' t mind a little imperfection on your finish would be to polish off the camo finish off in the area that you are concerned about. You should be able to tell at that point if the crack is part of the finish or is in the riser itself. I would then just use a little flat paint to cover the pollished area.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is that a place that is common to have a crack? I wouldn' t think that it is. What I' m thinking is I might have scratched the finish when I was trying to screw in my stabilizer.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Next to a stainless steel insert pressed into a magnesium forging? Yes. It' s a logical place for a crack. I haven' t heard of any cracking problems with either the MagnaTec or MT Sport though, but that doesn' t mean it can' t happen.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:08 AM

if it' s a 2002 model i saw a magnatech with a crack in the riser in a different place though , it was in the " tech" part of the riser , i don' t know how else to describe it. take it and have it checked , that should be covered by the lifetime warranty.