Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

AL or CARBON? what do you shoot and why?

Old 08-12-2003, 09:24 AM

Default AL or CARBON? what do you shoot and why?

kinda takin an poll I always like to shoot the newest and greatest and historiacl with mech carbosn are great! but recently I really got my 2314 AL supper lights to fly great they are heavy but true?

Curious to know how many of the rest of you shoot and what BH weight? Do you use your setup for ELK or just whitetail?

Look forward to the results!!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AL or CARBON? what do you shoot and why?

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

here you go...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:36 AM

Easton Lightspeed 400 with 80gr Phantoms for whitetails.

I shoot carbon because they are durable. I never have to worry about one being bent. While aluminum can be more exact specification wise out of the box over the course of hundreds of shots they will develop bends. Carbons will last forever with normal shooting as long as you don' t hit them with other arrows or shoot them into extremely hard objects.

On the other hand if you have aluminums flying great don' t mess with your set-up. Too many guys get caught up in the hype of what works good for others without realizing what' s working good for themselves is what it' s all about.

TJ

Old 08-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

On the other hand if you have aluminums flying great don' t mess with your set-up. Too many guys get caught up in the hype of what works good for others without realizing what' s working good for themselves is what it' s all about.
Excellent and honest point, I shoot aluminum, why? Well I have always shot them and they work just fine for me, I am lazy, I don' t want to have to retune my bow, so I stick with what works.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:58 AM

I shoot A/C/C' s, the most durable shaft on the market IMHO. The durability of carbon with the tolerances of aluminum. I used to shoot aluminum, and could throw just about any arrow into my rig and it would shoot no problem with broadheads. A couple years back switched to all carbon, and had tuning problems, but looking back upon it NOT ALL of the problems I experienced were arrow related, but even when they were shooting good I didn' t feel I was shooting as good as I thought I could. This year I got some A/C/Cs cheap off of ebay and I won' t shoot anything else now, I know they are expensive, but you can' t ask for more in terms of performance. Many people agrue against the A/C/C because of price & the fact you can bend them. My thinking on price is, you get what you pay for, if you want the best arrow with the complete package in terms of straightness, weight, & spine (most important IMHO) then choose the A/C/C, if you can live without one of the three get an all carbon.

In the end it is up to what YOU feel comfortable with shooting and what YOUR budget allows for. Good luck and Happy Hunting!
Old 08-12-2003, 10:18 AM

I vote for carbon, ALU is great but I just don' t take the care that I should of my stuff. Durability, quality, ease of maint.

If someone were looking at a new bow and needed to resetup anyway. I would say go carbon.

I shoot a 100 gr for elk and deer and turkey.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot carbon for durability over aluminums. I shoot 100 gr. fixed blades on elk and 100 gr. mechs. for whitetail, coyote and turkeys.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot Carbons with 100 Grain Fixed BH for Elk, Deer, Moose and Bear. I have found them more durable and they shoot wonderfully out of my 2 setups. I think they' re GREAT!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look under redundant in the dictionary and it says to see redundant...[&:]

Thanks for supplying the link WV Hunter.....
Old 08-12-2003, 02:39 PM

WV HUNTER thx for the link!

Real frustrated here I wanto shoot my acc kinetic' s w/4" offset vanes 445 grain that I can group 2' at 30 yds now every time with target points. but my BH just dive about 6" low every time. shooting 100 grian Steel force

Picked up the 2314 xx75 with 5" helical feathers 450 grain and they shoot like my my field points.

PROBLEM IS I DON" T WANT TO SHOOT ALuminum and damn sure dont want to shoot feathers! but if they keep shooting exactly where I aim every time I will not be able to argue with the performance!! I thought about reflecching my acc kinetic to 4" helicals to help with the flight maybe even feathers. And i' m not sure how hard it would be to move my knock lower since I shoot a loopto retune my set-up for my BH!!

Signed,

PERPLEXED IN VA

As a loast resort I could try some muzzy' s or thunderheads dont' really like they though LOL

Quick Reply: AL or CARBON? what do you shoot and why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.