Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Texas Rut?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default Texas Rut?

New to bowhunting in the state of Texas and would like to know when the rut starts?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Depending how far south you live. I lived in Lubbock Texas close to Amarillo Texas all my life and I am currently land owner there. The rutt usually kicks in middle to end of Nov with the peak even being in early Decemeber. Texas rut is kinda funny and can swing you a curve ball. Depending on when the cold weather hits it can keep the rut delayed longer into the year. I've seen deer rutting in January here and that can be normal. Here in Kansas usually the Oct 31- Nov 14 is my favorite time of the season. Then a month later when the does that weren't bread come back into estrus. Farther south you move down and weather will determine the rutting activity in Texas. Ratio is out of whack and the deer numbers are crazy. So it can be tricky determining the peak of the rut.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Spike

Thanks for the information. I live in Denton and will be hunting the Cooper WMA area so the rut should be close to what you had while you were in Lubbock. I cannot see paying the amount for a lease so I will be hunting the public lands. After 23 years of military service and hunting many different states just by asking for permission from the land owner. Amazing what you can get when you volunteer a few weekends in the off season to help on the farm.