Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many arrows?

Old 08-11-2003, 01:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How many arrows?

I know that lot of people on here have been bowhunting/shooting for a very long time so it leads to me to ask this question but how many arrows have you lost or damaged beyond repair in your career? I been shooting now for about a month and went hunting for rabbits with no luck thus far. But this is my count so far [:' (]

4 lost arrows
4 broken arrows
8 stripped fletchs (arrows)

I didn' t realized that the fletchs could be re-glued back on so i used to throw the arrows away [:' (] Needless to say i keep the arrows and get them re-fletch whenever possible. One of the broken arrows happen about two weeks ago when i was shooting at my sister' s backyard. I have my target set in line with a tree and there is an cememt wall about 10 feet beyond that (a church is directly behind the wall) and i was praticing at 50 yards. I shot little off (ok i just missed it completely) and i now know what the force of an arrow can do; the arrow stuck about 2 inches into the wall itself. Every since that happened i am careful of how i shoot and not going beyond the range that i am not comfortable with. Later on i will try 60 yards but at a different location.

Anybody know where i can get a backstop rather then using a cement wall? lol
Old 08-11-2003, 03:55 AM

Default RE: How many arrows?

how many arrows have i lost or damaged over the years , geez i never learned to count that high ,i don' t lose or damage too many now that i shoot with proper form , the only time i lose an arrow now is when i go on a 3d shoot and misjudge the distance !! and as far as refletching arrows goes ,thats how i ended up making my own, this way i don' t have to run to the shop every time i need an arrow re fletched![:-]

Old 08-11-2003, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes it seems like I' ve spent a million bucks on arrows over the years. But the actual number of arrows I' ve been through is probably only something like 1,000 to 1,500. Some years I only buy a new half dozen for hunting. Some years I go through several dozen.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:20 AM

My first year I went through 3 doz. That was a couple of years ago, when I got back into bow hunting. So far this year I have order 1 doz. I still have 8 of my carbon matrix left from the end of season last year and they are still holding up really good. I order another doz. just to have them on hand should I need them.
B
Old 08-11-2003, 06:11 AM

Lets see. I buy one dozen every year times 23 years ======uhhhh
276+ or-. 276x 50$ dozen= $1150 ,,,,,,Not as bad as I thought.[]
Old 08-11-2003, 06:14 AM
nub

That would be impossible to say. So far this year I' ve thrown 2 away. Both had cracks up from the tips. I can say this, I' m about half way through my second tube of glue for the year.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:00 AM

only lost one this year due to a robinhood

but the fletchin thing i wish i could get under control

i think theyve all been refletched a couple times this year
i need to get me one of those jiggy things
Old 08-11-2003, 08:28 AM

Been slingin em since I was 13,,now at 44 goin on 21 I imagine you could melt em all down & a heck of a lot of " XXX" ~75 Budweiser cans..
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 AM

Shoot' n squirels can do a lot of damage to your wallet. I usually go though about 1 doz per year. I use Judo points much of the time so the arrows are usually laying ontop of the ground and easy to find. I also added the Luminok last year and helped me find 3 arrows. Your backstop issue is a tough one. I think you are stuck. You could always head down to the local appliance store and get a few big refigerator boxes. Fill them with other sheets of cardboard and use them as your backstop. It may help you a little.

Sounds like you are having lot' s of fun. You may want to get an arrow fletching jig. It can be fun to make your own arrows.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Being this is my 2nd year of archery, I have lost or broken about a dozen and a half arrows. The vast majority are burried in my lawn somewhere about 1/2" below the surface, figure about a half dozen were a " gift" to the range for my bad yardage estimation at my first 3D shoot and another 4 were consumed by the 2 Robbin Hoods that I have sitting in my office.

I believe that I have only broken about 4 arrows.

At this point, ALL of my current arrows have been refletched at least twice.
It got to the point where I went out and bought a fletching jig so I don' t get popped for $2/arrow every time I need a single fletching fixed at the pro shop.

Quick Reply: How many arrows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.