Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kenetic energy

Old 08-14-2003, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Kenetic energy

Just a quick question here, what would you say is the minimum KE for shooting mechs?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

NOT saying that cut to tip heads are " BAD" , just saying that at higher arrow speeds, a broadhead with less surface area (most NON cut to tip heads....shorter blades) will GENERALLY penetrate as well or BETTER than a cut to tip head.
I' m with Nub.....I disagree. They go through like a hot knife goes through butter.

Taz...most say 55lbs of KE is enough, but if it was me...if I ever did shoot a mech, I' d personally want to be higher.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Okay two more questions for the gurus.

1. What weight arrows are used to establish the IBO speed of a bow?

2. How would you determine approximently how many FPS are lost per gram of arrow weight above the IBO weight?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:42 AM

Just a quick question here, what would you say is the minimum KE for shooting mechs?
Hard to answer a blanket statement regarding Mechs as there are so many diff designs and cut diameters.

heads like the snipers and the small 2 blade rockets can IMO be shot at under 55 lbs.

And swing back 3 blade heads with large 1.5" and 2.0" cuts should IMO be used with more ke.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:52 AM

Guys, you prove MY point. Pushing a cut to tip through leather IS easier....you are at the extreme slow end of the scale (less than 1fps...HOW does THAT relate to the real world?). As speed increases, it gets eaier and easier to go through the leather. When shooting an animal, you have to go through something much thiker than a peice of leather. The entire head is surrounded by matterial. The HUGE surface area of the cut to tip heads causes more drag than the replaceable blade heads (or even a mech head...BLASPHAMY....or is it?).
like cutting through a block of cheese, the less surface area, the easier it is to cut. hence cheese cutters are VERY dull, but have VERY little surface area (peice of wire).
Try to cut grass with a razor moving at 1 fps...then open up the weedwhacker with it' s super dull mono line...a bit easier...even though the razor has a MUCH higher KE (It' s weight, plus the weight of your arm/body).
None of this REALLY matters, as long as you put the head where it belongs. Indians killed deer with jagged rocks tied to bent sticks for cripes sake!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:56 AM
nub

No,matter how ya slice it pal, a cut will out penetrate a punch.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:03 PM

Hoyt lists the Deviator at your specs (70#/30" ) at 9grs/lb. at 239-245fps. ( THAT' s with a 630gr arrow).........which equals 80-84ft lbs of KE. Nothing to sneeze at for sure, but that' s at 70# not 67# and with an arrow 100grs HEAVIER than yours
If a 630 grain arrow that weighs 110 grains heavier than mine, but still get up to 245 fps, what is so difficult in believing a 110 grain lighter arrow will do 285? And, you are forgetting that the " speed x speed" portion of the equation is an important factor in KE. I don' t care if your arrow is 1000 grains, if it' s traveling slow, it' s not going to have the KE. If it' s traveling fast, use it for anti-tank.

And it wasn' t just one chronograph I shot thru. If you read the post, it was several, different ones, owned by different people, at different archery events. But, this is getting ridiculous and taking away from the original question of this thread. Have a nice day.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:33 PM

Danny45,

That bow could reach those claims. The performa cams on a deviator would get a 520 grain arrow close to 285. that would give about 93 to 94 ft-lbs. I believe tha AMO rating was around 253 ( something like that)

Awesome number but a real bear to shoot. A buddy had one. I have to say it was awesome but I couldn' t handle the speed.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:01 AM

Odd then that my steel-force heads got the LOWEST penetration in my tests (Very repeatable)
In most recent testing, Slick trick was #1 Shockwave #2 Muzzy 3 blade #3 and Steelforce #4
All 100gn heads, shoot on the same arrow/s out of the same bow on the same day. at 270 fps (+/- 3 fps)