Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kenetic energy

Old 08-13-2003, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Kenetic energy

Doug, it was a very unforgiving bow. I shot it with fingers too. If I wasn' t spot on with my form, it was hell getting it to group. I had to shoot it at an indoor tournament one day because my indoor bow was down. The club had a fairly new target wall of cardboard and I was shooting clear thru it and had to drop out. I once shot a robin hood with it at 30 yards, and drove the 2512 shaft almost all the way thru the other one. Sucker hit hard. It was a dual hatchet cam bow w/ 65 percent let off. Very small valley with a rock hard wall.

Back in those days, speed was the most important thing to manufacturers. I think they got away from that a little bit to concentrate on both speed and forgiveness.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What year did they make the Deviator? I bet I could pick one up for pretty cheap on ebay. I like those older bows , especially ones with alot of snot!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:49 PM

I bought mine in ' 98 or ' 99. They made two versions, the regular Deviator, and the Deviator XL. I had the latter, 42" axle to axle.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:39 PM

I think your chronos might need some calibrating even a Hoyt tech tells me there`s noway he knows to make that arrow go that fast off that bow.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with davidmill , you have enough energy but should stick to cut on contact 2 blade heads like magnus , steel force , ziwicky , simmons , and the like . They are all great heads .
Old 08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I apologize for contributing to the hijacking of this thread! But i just had to weigh in....

I have to agree Danny.....Unless you got THE fastest Deviator in the history of mankind something is screwy with those numbers.

Hoyt lists the Deviator at your specs (70#/30" ) at 9grs/lb. at 239-245fps. ( THAT' s with a 630gr arrow).........which equals 80-84ft lbs of KE. Nothing to sneeze at for sure, but that' s at 70# not 67# and with an arrow 100grs HEAVIER than yours.
WIth a 520gr arrow and your specs of 30" /67# you should be looking at something like 78 ft lbs of KE ,and that' s top end. Again nothing to sneeze at, but a far cry from 94ft lbs of KE!

Look at it this way........to get that number you quoted you are looking at a bow that would need an IB0 rating of about 352fps!!!! (I don' t think there is a Hoyt rep alive who would tell you a Deviator at 30" /70# could shoot over 350fps.

If I had to guess, you actually DID see a 285 from that bow at 67#/30" but there is almost ZERO possiblity that that arrow could weigh 520grs.

Heck my Pro38 Dual Cam BowTech had an IBO speed rating of 333-340 and I had it going 336fps with a loop only (339-340 bare string) This bow with a 474gr arrow would only do 290fps and that' s a full 46grs lighter than your arrow, AND I was shooting 30" /70#!

Granted the Deviator was a beast of a bow........but lets not get carried away!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:25 PM

he is probably just about ready to put that hoyt up on Ebay

Figured he could get top dollar for it
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 08-14-2003, 12:43 AM

NOT saying that cut to tip heads are " BAD" , just saying that at higher arrow speeds, a broadhead with less surface area (most NON cut to tip heads....shorter blades) will GENERALLY penetrate as well or BETTER than a cut to tip head.
Velocity is the key. The faster the arrow, the better for replacable blade heads. Slower arrows work better with cut to tip heads.
50 lbs is more than enough to kill deer...CLEANLY. just make sure you make a good hit. PLACEMENT is MUCH more important than KE or broadhead type.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:38 AM
nub

I have to disagree with ya Mahly. Try pushing a cut to tip through a piece of carpet, cardboard, old sweatshirt, hide, anything. Then try and push a fixed blade with one of those trocar tips thru. No comparison, the cut to tip head wins every time. Also when comparing total surface area, I' d say my 125 Muzzys are substancially larger than my 125 Montecs.

I will agree that cut to tips work better with slower arrows.

Quick Reply: Kenetic energy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.