Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kenetic energy

Old 08-11-2003, 08:25 PM
nub

Default RE: Kenetic energy

Rack: Amazed me too. He' d have to shoot a 520 gr. arrow @ 285 fps.![] Can a Hoyt do that at 67 lbs.?[>:]
Old 08-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres an easy to use calculator for finding your KE as long as u know 1) arrow weight 2) arrow speed. [link]http://www.goldtip.com/Archery/calculators/kinetic.html[/link]
Old 08-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

So get enough foot pounds of K.E. and you won' t have to worry about anything. If you get up to 65 or so you' re shooting fast enough or you have enough mass to quiet the works and you can kill anything you shoot at. Well... ALMOST but not exactly. Poundage will help if you can shoot it comfortably. We short arm little rascals have a hard time doing it though(beefing up the K.E. One of my bows shoots about 73 fps(525 grain arrow)... the other about 65(425 grain arrow). I say you' re borderline low on K.E. but it' s enough to kill but you have to have the right broadhead and then you' ll have NO problem. Stay away from mechanicals and lean towards cut on contact and you' ll be OK. I don' t know your shaft and didn' t look it up but would tend to accept what Matt says.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you keep your set-up the same, (at 52 KE) stick with fixed blades. Matts suggestion of a CX200 is very good. You' ll find if you play with the calculators you really don' t change KE much by using heavier arrow.(just alittle) If you want more KE you could: Buy a more effiecent bow, increase your bows poundage, or/and make sure your accessories are not robbing some of your bows power. Some examples; having a large peepsight(heavy and bulky), having a rubber tube on your peep, some people put on extra silencers or have unneeded nock sets or even a kisser button they really don' t use. Keep your string light and clean, it will help.

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2003, 02:30 PM

My draw and arrow are 27' ' . I' m shooting Carbon Extream Terminators that weigh 10.7 grains per inch, 3 7/8' ' veins. My arrow comes out around 435 grains with the 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. My speed is 240fps. This comes out around 55 foot pounds.With a good broadside shot will this produce pass throughs or leave my arrow sticking out?
Old 08-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to the sight to the link above 40 is enough for a pass through on a whitetail deer. I got 56 ke for your speed and arrow weight with there calculator.3

(copied from there sight)
Forty (40) foot pounds will allow a total pass through on a whitetail deer.
Fifty (50) foot pounds of kinetic energy are suggested for hunting elk.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:15 PM

Rack, and Nub,

A 31" 2512 shaft weights 318.37 grains
Aluminum Insert weights 52.00 grains
Field points 100.00 grains
Super Uni System/Nock 16.00 grains
Three, 5" , plastic vanes 32.6 grains

That' s 518.97 grains. I think glue and hot melt can easily make up 1.03 grains.
So you see, it' s easy to reach the 520 grain mark. And yes, it shot 285 fps at 67 lbs. I HAD to shoot it thru a chronograph numerous times at 3-D shoots. I had been shooting it at 70 lbs but had to back it off due to Oklahoma State Archery Association rules about not exceeding 288 fps. It was shooting at 290 fps at 70 lbs. When I shot Gold Tips, It shot 315 fps at 65 lbs. It was a double " hard" cam bow with a severe reflex riser and a brace height around 5 1/4" if I remember right.

So I do believe the correct KE numbers are 93.809968 lb/ft. Close enough to 94 for me.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy smokes batman! That Hoyt Deviator was faster than anything Hoyt makes today! Including the Supertec with an IBO of 330+ fps[]
Old 08-13-2003, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the biggest problem we have with bowhunters today is everyone wants to push the limits. They want the fastest, or the lightest arrows etc etc. If we can kill a deer with anything from 50 fps to 90 fps... everyone says 50 is MORE than enough. (maybe it is under ideal situations) People also start hedging. I believe the common statement of 50 being more than enough to get a passthrough was meant and said with a cut to the tip on contact broadhead. Then some guy fudges with a Thunderhead or Muzzy, then some guy fudges with a mechanical, then some guy fudges to 47 pound etc etc etc. Fix up the best killing machine and tools you can handle comfortably and don' t cut corners and you' ll be fine. No matter what the say, you can' t make a silk purse from a sows ear.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:58 AM

Goldenarm,

You have more than enough KE to kill a whitetail. Hit ' em in the right spot, with a very sharp broadhead, and you' ll have no problems. If you' re shooting good with what you have (broadheads attached), I' d leave it alone. If not, work on getting the right spined shaft and tune the bow to perfection.

Quick Reply: Kenetic energy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.