Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for a new bow?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looking for a new bow?

I'm in the market for a new bow, but I've been somewhat out of the game for a few years since I moved the last time for work (plus I'll admit I was a bit burned out on archery competition). So I'm not familiar with what's out there and who's who anymore (like I hear PSE is actually making GOOD bows now?), so I'm looking for a little guidance in finding a new bow.

I've been shooting recurve bows since I was 5yoa, and I got into compound hunting and competition in high school. My first hunting bow was an old 80# Oregon (that I still have and use) that I bought almost 15yrs ago. My last competition bow was a Mathews Conquest Apex, with a Conquest Pro before that. Sold both of them in 2006, and sold my Solocam in '08. I shot 3D and IBO Outdoor, as well as several indoor leagues during the year. So I expect a lot in terms of speed and accuracy.

Like everyone, I'm looking to get the best bow I can at a reasonable price. A high price isn't a deal breaker, I'd rather have a better bow for $900 than settle for something LESS for $500, but I certainly wouldn't want to spend $900 on a bow that doesn't do anything more than a $500 bow would.

I'm hoping to get back into competition (not as deep as I WAS), as well as DRASTICALLY upgrade my hunting bow. I'm hoping I can find something that I can buy and stick with for a while. When I was competing it seemed like I was going through bows like underwear, I'd like to find a standby bow that I can stick with and just maintain (wouldn't mind a twin-cam).

So what are the hot bows out there today?