Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best tree steps

Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 AM

Default best tree steps

I am adding 6 new loc-on treestands to my aresnal this year, giving me a total of 10. I use climbing stiks with my old stands. I hunt 20' to 25' feet up so most climbing stiks do not reach that height. I am going to purchase 100 tree steps but I have not had any experience with them. I have read to use a cordless drill to drill a pilot hole for the steps making installation much better. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 models from Ameristeps. The Grizzly or Compact Double-Fold Tree Step. I can get the Grizzly for $1.50 a step the Compact DF for $1.65. I am leaning toward the Compact DF because of the big tooth traction.

Any recommendations on which model and and pros and cons using these steps and hww many I would need to outfit 6 stands @25' .............thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best tree steps

I' m not a big fan of Ameristep steps. By far, the best I have used are Cranfords E-Z steps. No need to pre-drill holes and very comfortable on the hands. They are more expensive however. Cabela' s and BPS sell them for about $5.00 each, but I' ve found them for under $3.00 each.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:19 AM

I have used are Cranfords E-Z steps. No need to pre-drill holes and very comfortable
They screw into a tree like butter. Great steps . I bought nine for about 4 bucks apeice. I also use the ameristeps but i will use 1 of the E_Z steps for a pilot hole.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of variables that affect a purchase. I' m assuming these stands are in a remote spot where you are going to leave them out. If that is the case, and you don' t have to worry about theft then a screw in step would work.

There is a reason Ameristep is one of the cheaper brands out there. They are not always the easiest to start in the tree. I think Game Trackers Gorilla series are better. As has been mentioned Canford is the easiest to start although the folding kind can be hard on your hands. Deer Me tree steps start fairly easily but are spindley. I like them for bow hangers.

If you take your steps out each time you leave the stand then I would recommend The Skyhook system. You put a lag screw in the tree and then attach a step to it. I have used the folding ones for years and never had a failure. The folding ones are light and don' t take up much room. They aren' t cheap but they are convienient if one has to take out the steps each time. Obviously you leave the lag screw in and simply pull off the step.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I would go with the Cranford Ezy Climb steps also. The rod steps are highly recommended. I guarantee they will not fail! I have used API steps, not much surface area to put your foot on and the Ameristeps are just well.....junk!!!!!!

Ezy Climb steps will screw in without a pilot hole and will stay put. Talk about a sharp point!!!! Don' t sacrifice safety for a few dollars well spent. I can get the Ezy Climb rod steps for $3-3.50 a piece at my archery dealer.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:58 PM

Why can' t you get some extentions fer ur sticks??
Old 08-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Why dont you just buy 2 or 3 steps for each stand? use your ladder steps to
start screw in steps on top. When done hunting leave screw in steps in,
remove ladder steps, works great.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the Cranfords are by far and away the best steps on the market. As stated earlier, stay away from the cheaper brands because you get what you pay for.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:59 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Jees, you guys are making me feel bad, I use the ameristep grizzly steps and like them. [] I will admit they are not the easiest steps to start in the tree but I don' t find it that difficult. I use them because I wear a size 13 shoe and when you have a 13 packboot on you need a large step. They were the biggest steps I could find and the only ones I feel secure with due to my large boots. How big are the cranford steps? I would consider them but they would have to be at least as big as the grizzly steps.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mez...I' m with you man...I use the grizzly' s also, and don' t have any problems with them. I like how big they are also. Maybe there are better out there, but for the way I use them (in the tree once a season) I can' t see spending double the $ per step.
If I had to screw them in and out every time I went(and in the dark) then yes, maybe I' d opt for the cranfords.

tnichols....where are you getting the Grizzly' s at $1.50 each? Thats a good price.

Quick Reply: best tree steps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.