Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting instinctive

Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Starting instinctive

I decided as a goal for this deer season I was gonna start shooting instinctive of course I'm still gonna use my compound bow. I never shot with a release until last year and I just couldnt get used to it and never could seem to get a good group. I think this is prolly the most effective way to shoot for deerhunting... no sights to worry about, no peeps to line up, dont have to worry about yardage and no worries about not being able to see your sights. So far this is my best group at 15 yards I havent shot a whole lot so far. If anyones got any tips lets hear them.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt from a stand mostly, I think doing it from there would be much more difficult since my form is anybodies guess up there. IMO your doing what we all should do, then when stuff fails we'll still be functioning. Tore my site up again last year, stinks.

I do like being able to settle in for a shot and not having to line the bow up, just pull and every things there, then use the sights for fine tuning the shot. It's the plan anyways.

Do it however you hunt the most with whatever you hunt with. It's all going to effect the shot. If I had unlimited possibilities I'd try it, but I don't have that many and it bothers me too much to miss. Maybe I'm in denial, old great,great grand daddy did come here after a spell in Notingham.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I was on a pig hunt several years ago with a compound. It was fast and furious and decided getting to full draw, looking thru the peed, finding the right pin was too much for this hunting.

So I went with traditional. I now make my own bows. I love it. There are many advantages of dropping sights, releases, and peeps. But it takes dedication to shoot instinctive. My longest shot is 28 yards, and shortest was 8 yards. Remember, pick a spot, burn a hole thru that spot. Don'tlook at the target, look at that spot. Smaller the better.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot instictive for over 20 years. If you can group like that out to 30 you'll be fine. 10-15 yds makes a big difference & most shots will be 20 or under (thats just Bowhunting). My compound shots average that also.
I've shot 38 Biggame animals with recurve & instictive. Bear, Elk, Deer, Hogs. Closest about 10 feet & farthest a Buck at 55 yds. i've shot a Elk at 35 yds & a couple deer but mostly under 20.

When I switched to sights (still fingers) It took me nearly a year to match my Barebow scores on a field range (mid 400s). When I went to a release & sight it only took a couple weeks to become fantastic...You will have to practice with your new style but enjoy what makes you happy. I went to a sight because I felt I missed to often barebow...Enjoy-it's all fun. Starting my 55th year of Bowhunting...
Attached Thumbnails Starting instinctive-scan0006.jpg