Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Amtrak Train NO BOW~YES GUN ?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down Amtrak Train NO BOW~YES GUN ?

If you have entertained the idea of traveling with your Bow on the Amtrak Train you may want to think again.
So I am leaving in the morning for out west and I was looking at taking the Amtrk Train in a beautiful scenic part of Colorado to see more of the land instead of flying through this area.
Now the idea of traveling with my bow on the Amtrak Train was a real eye opener.
Below is copied from the Amtrak website this morning in regards to Baggage Guidelines on carry on and checked baggage.
Item Type Carry On Checked Bags
Archery equipment No No
Firearms or ammunition No Yes
*Black powder, percussion caps or any ammunition used with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion-cap ignition system or similar type are never permitted; this includes self-loaded, gunpowder-based modern ammunition.

I cant travel with my bow on the Amtrak but I can take a gun ??? What The Heck ~ How much sense does that make ??
When I inquired as to the companies reasoning around this from the Amtrak Agent all I got was " it is because of 911 " and then he felt it needed to give me his personal opinion on the subject of Amtrak allowing Firearms,and how he wished they didnt allow any weapons on checked baggage~ even though I never asked for his personal opinion~ I asked for the companies reasoning behind this.
The company now allows guns after a temp ban after 911 but has not lifted the ban on Bows since 911????
I guess I will have to go to Amtrak corporate and make some inquireies.

Last edited by Lady Forge; 05-02-2011 at 07:09 AM.