Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Complete Tuning Process

Old 08-02-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Complete Tuning Process

If anyone would like to share a step by step process for tuning a bow from scratch I think it would be a great help to many members new and old. I myself have had to rely too much on guys at proshops IMO and someday fear I will be on a hunting trip and mess my bow up and not be able to fix it.

Also a few days ago I paper tuned my bow and moved the rest to the right to fix slight left tear and my bow has shot like crap ever since. I can' t get it back to where it was and I don' t know why.

My tuning skills are not very good and I really do not like the feeling of having to depend on others to keep my hunting gear in shape.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:56 PM
nub

Default RE: Complete Tuning Process

http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tu...ning_guide.pdf
Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM

Nothing against the Easton guide...........but that is what I was following when I got bored and decided to correct my paper tune. Now my groups are just plain bad. Again I am not blaming the Easton guide...........I was just looking for a more personal response.

You don' t have to write 100 lines of info. Just a list of your steps........then people can ask questions about a particular step if they need to.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:11 AM
nub

If you can' t tune a bow off of the Eastons tuning guide, somethings wrong. Like form, arrow spine, or equipment. There is no " do it like this" 100% guarantee. Perhaps what you lack is patience.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:33 PM

If you can' t tune a bow off of the Eastons tuning guide, somethings wrong. Like form, arrow spine, or equipment. There is no " do it like this" 100% guarantee. Perhaps what you lack is patience.
nub,

Did I say something wrong here??? What' s with the abrasive attitude??

I find it funny that people will reply to the same old threads about broadheads and bow brands and setups and blah blah blah day after day after day here but a thread about a good process to follow when tuning your bow at home so you don' t have to rely on others at the shops for everything gets nothing but a link to the Easton guide and sarcasm.

You could have just typed that you set your nock and center shot by eyeballing and then group tune or horizontal and vertical tune or bareshaft or what distances you use etc.............then anyone with questions could have asked them if they got lost somewhere in your list.

No one asked for a 100% do it like this gaurantee..............besides, snapping quick insults instead of offering helpful advice points to you being the impatient one.

This thread isn' t about me or my bow............yea I messed it up, so what?? I' m back to stacking arrows at 30 yards as of a couple hours ago. I did struggle and feel lost when the stuff I knew didn' t fix my problem............so I figured there are probably a heck of a lot of guys just like me who know the basics but are not master tuners by a long shot............so I started this thread to help me and all them learn more about the details of tuning. Sorry that you somehow took offense to that.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...de=1&s=#337815
Old 08-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 AM
nub

Not trying to be abrasive atlas. Sorry if you took it that way. Fact is, in the next month, There will probably be 25 " how do I tune" threads. The link to the Easton download will most likely show up in all of them. Its very easy to comprehend for most first timers.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:22 AM

nub,

Did I say something wrong here??? What' s with the abrasive attitude
Atlasman, try not to take him wrong. All of us have been NUBBED at least once during are past posts. Nub is just short and too the point. []

I do agree that the easton tuning guide is a very good reference if you NEEd to tune due to poor grouping, bad flight etc. but if you are already shooting good dont mess with it like I did. I was grouping very well and my arrow flight looked good but I decided to check the paper. My arrows were showing about 1/2 nock high. I took out the easton guide and did everything I could and ended up with worse flight and groups went skewy. I moved everything back to the original position and all was well again. Remember, you dont need bullet holes to get good flight and good grouping. There are too many other factors involved.
The biggest problem, that I have found, to creep into your bow tune is a nocking point movement. String stretch, serving seperating, etc. seems to wreck havoc
on a bows tuneup more than anything. Get a bow square and check your nocking point very often. Once a bow is tuned, this seems to be the biggest problem . Keep it checked and adjusted and you shouldnt have any problems. Im in the same boat as you with this tuning stuff. Im sure someone else can answer your question with alot more detail.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:11 AM

Not trying to be abrasive atlas. Sorry if you took it that way. Fact is, in the next month, There will probably be 25 " how do I tune" threads. The link to the Easton download will most likely show up in all of them. Its very easy to comprehend for most first timers.

OK

I guess I just figured that with all the years of experience we have to draw from around here that we could have come up with some nice pointers or helpful hints to help others avoid making the same mistakes over and over.