Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No fixed blades?

Old 08-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default No fixed blades?

I bought a Bear Vapor 300 last season and the owner of the shop told me I
should not shoot fixed blade broadheads with this bow. He said the will not
fly true and will not fly the same as my field points(this is obvious).
He seems to know his stuff and I know he competes and wins at a lot of shoots.
Anyway, I bought some NAP mechanicals and they dont hit with my field points
either, 3" high-left.
My question is, I see that a lot of you guys are shooting fixed blades in fast bows
so is this guy wrong?
Should I try a different mechanical, maybe the cheapies I bought are the problem?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: No fixed blades?

I would have to say your bow is not tuned well enough, especially if the mechanicals do not group with the field tips. It may be shooting bulletholes in paper, but that is just the start.

I believe all bows are capable of getting close with the impact of fixed blades and field tips. Go to the following link and download eastons tuning guide, and follow the directions. You will have your bow tuned in no time.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/tech_room/

Or, it could be the arrows are not spined right.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:28 PM

I can' t imagine why anyone would say that, let alone a " pro" in a shop. I am not aware of any bow made that can' t be tuned for fixed blade heads. I agree with the above post,you just need to tune your bow. Sometimes you won' t get your field points and broad heads to impact the exactally the same. You may in some cases, have to move your pins a little.Don
Old 08-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well for me I don' t shoot fixed blades right now because I just can' t get them to shoot well at farther than 25 yards. I want my heads to perform at 45 yards. But my mechanicals shoot with my field points. I think that my bow could be tuned better but I just don' t know how to go about it. I do get bullet holes in paper but after that I am in the dark.
[:' (]
Brian
Old 08-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a link to the tuning process.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tu...ning_guide.pdf

Paper is just a starting point and I am seeing more and more people saying they are shooting bullet holes but have bad arrow flight further down range.

I only use the paper as a starting point when I am finished tuning and shoot the paper again I get terrible tears but have good flight with fixed broad heads,field points and mechs out to 55 yrds.

My process is paper,group then creep tuning (dual cam bow) or as some call it super tuning.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find the comments from your " pro shop" pretty amusing. I shot one of my backup bows last week out to 40 yards with field points and broadheads. Except for one or two called bad shots, I was keeping all the arrows in tennis ball to baseball sized groups. Since I don' t use a peep sight, I consider that level of accuracy good for hunting, especially around dusk. The funny thing is , the bow I was shooting was the Golden Eagle version of your Vapor 300. The riser, cam and limbs are the same. The only difference between our bows is the grip and the cable guard. If my Golden Eagle can tune like this, your bow could too!

All I really did to tune this bow was to eyeball the centershot so that the string appeared to be running down the center of the grip, and the arrow was aligned with the string and grip. Then set the nock pt. 1/4" above square. I shot it for a while, then made a tiny adjustment to make sure my Whisker Biscuit was perpendicular to the arrow. That was all it took. Granted, these bows are not the fastest around, but to say they can' t be tuned to shoot fixed broadheads is ridiculous.

My Bowtech is quite a bit faster than the Golden Eagle (which I am planning to give to my son next year), and is also a bit more accurate for me, but the Golden Eagle
(and your Vapor 300) are plenty good hunting bows that are capable of shooting fixed broadheads just fine.

BTW, it sounds like your centershot adjustment is off, or you are getting fletching contact to produce the results you described. The heads you used may not be the best, but they should not be off by that much.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

FInd a new " proshop" fixed blade heads can be deadly accurate and mechanicals won' t always shoot well, especialy out of a poorly tuned bow. Sounds to me like this guy wanted to sell you as much stuff as he could and get you out the door with a minimum amount of work[:@]
Old 08-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

My " proshop" supposedly centered everything up on my bow before I picked
it up, but I`ll double check it the best I can.
Joe----As far as fletching making contact I assume you mean with the rest?
I`m using a whisker biscuit as well so that wouldnt be an issue correct?
I checked out eastons tuning guide and I have tried to tune a bow in the past,
an old one I had last summer, and I just made it shoot worse.
I`m new to bows and a little timid about tinkering with the setup too much.
This bow will shoot a field point just awesome, and holds great groups with my
cheap mechanicals. Maybe I should take it to a different shop and tell them my problem, and let them check the tuning?
I appreciate all the comments from you guys, after all, you guys are the reason
I went out and bought a bow in the first place. Just reading all this stuff made
me want to give something other than gun-hunting a try.
Plus-it adds a month to my hunting season