Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is it time to buy new arrows?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Spike

Default When is it time to buy new arrows?

That question will probably open the door for a few jokes.

I am wondering about the spine wearing out after a few seasons. I have heard that shooting arrows for a long time evetually weakens the spine. I've had these arrows for at least 5 years. This is probably more critical for target shooters than hunters.

Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

I always buy new arrows every two years so I have never experianced the spine being weakened. But my input is that if they shoot straight & you hit what your shooting at then they are good enough. Just my 2 cents...

-South
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'd hate to have anyone hanging from a rope

for the amount of time I've have and used some arrows. All archers are not the same. I see no way of comparing the needs of all archers. If the arrow works, I use it. That's about as fixed a rule that I have.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've read that one can shoot the spine out of carbon arrows, but I have serious doubts unless you're one of those guys who shoots the same arrows all the time and put 20,000 shots a year through the bow using the same 3 or 4 arrows. I'd be more inclined to think, from experience, that the nocks can wear or the string serving. Or strings/cables could elongate changing the tune of the bow slightly, but arrows? I've got some, ACC's in particular, that are over 15 years old and are still some of the most consistently accurate arrows I own.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

When they don't go where they used to and it isn't anything you can fix. Or the obvious, you don't have enough left.

Lots of things effect arrows, just leaving them sit in one way for long can cause it to form itself to that bent. Storage is important I think.

I buy more when they don't go where they are supposed to. Seems every couple years but as I age time flys by much faster than my memory remembers.