Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Practice

Old 04-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personnally never understood the concept of only shooting a month or couple wks before season. I mean to each his own. But to me its not just about making sure your bow is hitting right, its also about mechanics, and instincts. Like in many professions training only teaches those instincts to take over at that time of need. It should come natural without thinking about it. I've heard too many stories of bowhunters using the wrong pin, or jerking their release. To me that comes from lack of practice, and natural instincts not taking over.
I'm also a firm believer in practicing for the situation. I mean by that in how you plan to hunt. I find shooting 3d courses as a great preparation to learn judging yardages in all situation. Up hill, down hill, dark areas, tight shooting. I mean think about it, your walking into your stand, and you spot a buck. Do you put on a stalk, and try to make a tough shot. How about leaning out from behind a tree, kneeling, sitting, and just standing awkward. Can you truly prep for these conditions just 1 month away?
I have been to Colorado chasing Elk with a bow 3x's. I was running, getting in shape. I'd have my bow all ready to shoot, and shoot as soon as I finished my run, all sweaty, breathing hard. It can happen like that in the mtn's. I also had my kids move my targets around in thick, tough, hard to make shots after a run.
The bonus to all this is it prepares you for any situation wild game may throw at you, and isn't shooting also suppose to be fun, and part of the enjoyment to archery!!!