Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

looking for best day pack for elk bow hunt!!

Old 07-30-2003, 09:47 PM

Default looking for best day pack for elk bow hunt!!

Curious to know what recommendation anyone has for carrying arrows as well! Am i better off with the arrows in my pack or in the quiver on the bow!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking for best day pack for elk bow hunt!!

I like a two piece quiver but that is just me.

The type of terrain one is traversing plays a role in a back pack for me. If you are doing some climbing and need both hands Cabela' s sells a back pack (JD- 51-5401) you can put your bow in. I have one and like it. If I don' t have to do a lot of climbing I just use a seven pocket fanny pack made by Mad Dog.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 AM

You are always better off with your arrows on your pack when elk hunting. I have an old saddle cloth pack that I have mounted my quickie quiver on. It holds 4 arrows and works OK. I think if you want to get a quiver pack check out Cat Quiver packs. They don' t give em away but when you consider some of the new quivers for bows run $80 - $100....
Old 07-31-2003, 08:56 PM

The " Kelly" daypacks are great. I' m not sure if they are still being sold though. They are all fleece, including the arm straps. I have been hunting with mine for 15 years and it still is holding up great. A lot of great packs today have fleece bodies or saddlecloth, microfleece, etc. But most miss out by using nylon shoulder straps. Thats where you get that " swish" sound when drawing. Also, look for a chest clip on the pack. It keeps the straps in tight on the shoulders and also helps to eliminate draw noise.
I like my arrows on the bow. Quick to pull, and less to hang up on brush and limbs when stalking or setting up. As long as my bow clears, so do my arrows. Having them on a hip quiver is definitely out for me. On my back risks catcing soething unseen while I' m watching the animal. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Whatever you get for a daypack my advise is to stay away from saddlecloth bags if you are going to use it in cold weather. I bought one about 3 years ago and hunt in 0-20 degree weather and it sound like a potato chip bag everytime it moves. consider this if you want to use it in cold weather.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:14 PM

thanks Dave I have one of those chip bags NOw and won' t do that again!!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone seen the infomercial on OLN about the day pack that only has one shoulder strap so it doesn' t hinder shooting a bow or gun with it on? It looks like a really nice one!