Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Razor Ring Broadheads (You gotta see this!!)

Old 07-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Razor Ring Broadheads (You gotta see this!!)

There' s a thread on the Technical forum about this head. I just posted a pic on it you guys might be interested in seeing. This is not a new idea, by any stretch. Didn' t work back then either.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find it hard to believe I would be the only one here to have tried these things. What can I say except, I must have the word " sucker" written across my forehead. [&:] But I did try them and for what its worth I' ll pass my experience (once again) on to whom ever is interested.

Perhaps I should put a disclaimer on what I am about to say so if there is a hungry attorney around I don' t become lunch. [:@] The choices that a person makes on his or her equipment is always a personal thing. What one person finds to his liking another might abhor. I have nothing against the Razor Ring company, I can only tell you the results of my findings.

Not all of the heads spun true on my arrow tester. I did break a ferrule when I shot it into my 3/4" plywood " wall of fame/shame" . I don' t know what those bones in their pictures came out of or what they used to get those holes in the bones but I can tell that with roughly 60 pounds of kinetic energy the head couldn' t punch through a small buck that was broadside at 15 yards. When I dressed out the buck I couldn' t even find a mark on the far side of the rib cage opposite the entry hole. Using the same bow and arrow combo I later shot a large buck using a three blade mechanical with a two inch cut. It was a thirty yard shot and a complete passthrough.

In all fairness I should also state that shooting just one animal with a broadhead doesn' t make me an authority on that heads performance. Funny things can and do happen in the field. I once shot a nice buck standing broadside with a two blade head with a setup generating slightly over 70 pounds of KE. It went through the meaty part of both shoulders but never hit either scapula. It wasn' t a complete passthrough but the arrow was sticking out both sides. He broke the arrow in three pieces as he ran away, with the middle piece stayed in his chest cavity. With the setup I was using and a good two blade head I would have bet I could have blown through anything.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You' re right about the concept not being anything new Arthur, a friend of mine used to use them years ago. I don' t remember him ever shooting anything with them though.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never did try them on a turkey. They might be great for that. []
Old 07-28-2003, 06:19 PM

Antler Eater:

NO, you' re not the only one who has shot these BHs. Without going into a lot of detail, I' ve decided not to use them for any more of my ' Crop Damage' hunting.[:' (]

I owe it to the animals to use the best I can find.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot ' em. They blow big honkin' chunks.

Even if the damn things DID penetrate well (IME, they did not). they sounded like a friggin F18A heading down to the target. Imagine the noise in having 3 Full helical full length feathers on your arrow shot at about 300 FPS

Now double that

..shudder...
Old 07-29-2003, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

well there you go, If Len, Jeff, and Antler give them a big thumbs down that should tell you something!
Old 07-29-2003, 04:55 AM

some company had a similar product years ago except they were plastic and they were supposed to stabilize broadhead flight , they didn' t work too well either!