Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Strategies of the Pros

Old 07-26-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Scent Strategies of the Pros

There is a section in this book (Bowhunting Tactics of the Pros : Strategies for Deer and Big Game by Lamar Underwood)on scent strategies. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it.

This strategy originates from a professional guide in Wisconsin. His theory is that bowhunters do not use enough doe urine to attract whitetail bucks. This guides tactic is to saturate a 20 to 50 yard area, preferably thick cover within 70 yards+ from your stand, with doe pee the day before you hunt. This area should be saturated preferably at dusk the day before. His theory is that bucks will be searching the area for does throughout the night and will still be hanging out in the area for 30 minutes after legal hunting hours before they go to their beds. He states you must be in your stand well before legal hunting hours for this tactic to be affective. He states his bucks sightings have increased from seeing 1 or 2 bucks to seeing 10 to 20 a hunt........wow! As the rut approaches he changes over to doe in heat pee and the action really picks up. He buys his doe urine by the pints and quarts. Your thoughts!

Old 07-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent Strategies of the Pros

I am not saying this won' t work, but to be honest I would think that would have older bucks a bit leary of the area. Think about it, a buck looking for does is using his nose to smell doe urine in normal concentrations, not by the gallon! It would be like us, if you are walking along and you smell urine strong, do you view this as normal? I don' t, I am checking for a leak or where some idiots have been pissing where they shouldn' t. Just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:43 AM

Taz

I am sorry I left out the amount he used to saturate the area. He uses 2 to 3 oz of doe pee. He walks thru the area he is going to saturate using a 3oz squeeze bottle.
He says he spays the urine using a left to right motion with his arm and then I guess he moves a couple of yards and repeats the distribution of urine.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okay, that sounds a little more reasonable, I still wouldn' t do it, but it may work. I have called deer in and after 5-10 minutes if they do not see a deer where they hear a deer, they leave, I would imagine it would be the same for smelling a deer, if a buck smells a doe in an area and looks aroung for 5-10 minutes and there is no doe, they leave, but hey I have been wrong plenty of times before.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:51 PM

I believe the guy manufactures and sells deer urine or is sponsored by a deer urine manufacturer.

Consider his theory against existing facts:

1. You scout your territory to determine best location(s) to setup.
2. Best territory and stand locations are determined by signs of constant deer activity.
3. In any location, there will be more does than bucks.
4. More does moving through means more sign.
5. Does leave the most obvious sign in general areas of scouting.
6. Bucks are less, bucks are secretive and elusive, and, therefore, do not leave as much sign in broad areas as does do.
7. Until bucks are in rut or pre-rut, their movements and where they move are difficult to project.
8. Bucks already know where does hang and move and will eventually begin to enter and frequent the areas
9. Best chance to kill two birds with one stone is to set up where does commonly group and move.
10. What do deer do in abundance in their central areas? They piss and crap everywhere.
11. What are the odds that a buck is going to pick out your bottled and weak estrus urine over that of a doe in estrus that just hotly urinated out of your range, or pick your laid (bottled) urine out of the numerous urine traces that are all over the area?

If you set up where does are not generally seen and normally do not frequent or move through, the odds of having good success pulling that buck off his route to ecstasy by throwing down a gallon off bottled doe urine, is very poor.

Old 07-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well said c903, you must like typing more than I do!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:17 PM

Taz:

I have a rep to keep. You should know that Marines are good at laying down firepower. Maybe not always accurate fire, but defiinately suppressing fire.

BTW: How is your son? Did he have to go to any of the hot spots yet? If so, is he back and ok, or is he still in a hot zone and ok?
Old 07-27-2003, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another 2 flaws in this theory--if after making the area smell like 100 hot does just urinated there, wouldn' t that be just a bit suspicious? And secondly, if you do this the day before and it doesn' t scare them off, but actually draws them in, wouldn' t most of them have given up by the time you come stumbling in the next morning spooking the remaining ones away?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:43 AM

This area should be saturated preferably at dusk the day before.
last thing in the world I want to do to a stand - walk around in a 50 yds circle for 20 mins. I often will play with high risk setups - but even I wouldn' t chance that tactic.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:41 PM

I don' t use deer scents

Quick Reply: Scent Strategies of the Pros

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.