Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Strategies of the Pros

Old 11-04-2003, 09:51 AM

Default RE: Scent Strategies of the Pros

I am going to give this strategy a try when the chase phase of the rut starts in Mississippi in about 2 weeks away, I have 5 stands setup on 300 acres. The stand I am going to use is located on ridge above a deep creek shelf. I have a rub line located adjacent to the creek shelf. I have ordered 1 quart of of doe in heat from a farm up in PA. I am going to go into the area totaly scent free and distribute 1 pint of doe in heat urine in a 20-50 yard pattern about 75 yards away from the stand at dusk the evening before I hunt(November 21) the stand. I will be in the stand 45 minutes before legal shooting hours the next morning. This stand is isolated from my other stands. According to the wisconsin outfitter I should see several bucks within the first 30 minutes of legal shooting hours. I will post the results of my observations on November 22nd. Any Polls on what will happen?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:54 AM

I have also hunted this stand twice this year in the evening and in the morning and have not seen a deer.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:11 AM

There is an article in North american Hunter that covers all aspects of lures and scents. It is very practical and makes more sense. He says sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. The best thing you can do is learn your area and what works for it. Try field testing to see if it works for your area.