Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer and pears?

Old 07-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer and pears?

Taz,
I have several hot spots on Belvoir and one is where there are persimmons and one with an old pear tree . The pears I believe you are speaking of are not even good (soft) until the first frost. They are grown and grow wild. They will be falling like crazy after a good frost but wont last long on the ground, Thats for sure.~Ben
Old 07-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check this link out from our own site.

http://www.whitetaildeer.com/about/food.asp
Old 07-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doug this will be Micahs first year hunting, he doesn' t even own a bow and where this pear tree is I can only hunt with a bow, we have an invite to hunt a 5,000 acre farm in the Carolinas, so what I was thinking about doing was letting him gun hunt while I bow hunt. Being in the Marines and living in the barracks I doubt he would be able to even find a place to practice with a bow anyhow. I will talk to him and see, maybe I will give him my old bow if he is interested.

BenfromVa you are right, Keeper pears are not worth a hoot to eat, at least not for people, my mother said that when she was growing up they would pick them and keep them in the root cellar and her mom would make stuff with them, but she said it took a lot of sugar and spices to make them any good.

mdbo I checked out the food list on this site and they don' t even mention pears?

Thank you all for the replies, I hope this pans out, I think it should, but any shot I get will be less than 20 yards, more like 5-7!

Old 07-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taz--you' ve stumbled on a gold mine! Those 3 trees way behind the garden in my back yard are pear trees and they are hammered hard every year by the deer. They bypass the sweet corn and the apple trees to eat--not just the pears--but all the new growth on the limbs they can reach. Most people around here think that pears are at the top of the deer' s preference list and I have seen it first hand. You should tag out early!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave it would be almost impossible to tag out in Va. I figured it out last year, as long as you buy bonus doe permits you could legally kill 3 bucks and over 100 does!!![] Glad to hear that they prefer them over apples and corn!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 AM

Taz,
I don' t know what kind they are, but I think the crows are knocking them out of the tree mostly. They are about half there full size right now and nowhere near ripe yet. The deer are probably knocking some of them off the lower limbs also.