Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting river areas...where should i hang my stand???

Old 07-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default bowhunting river areas...where should i hang my stand???

hey everyone...

just wondering if anyone can help find a spot to hang my stand... i hunt in a 1x2 mile section, with fence and tree lines running to the river from the roads, in some places along the river its wooded anywhere from 50 to 100 yards and some places the feilds run right up to the edge, there is a major trail on each side, and there are about 4 or 5 crossings in the area i' m able to hunt... right now i set up where the trees are about 50 yards on one side and about 20 yards on the other, i' m next to a crossing... the deer use it cause the cover runs out on the other side of the river... the major trail from the other side meets with the major trail on my side... within range of my stand, theres lots of little trails that run through the woods but the deer use the major ones during the day... all the trees are oaks except for a couple cottonwoods and maples... if anyone has any crazy ideas... or it could be just one idea too and it doesn' t even have to be crazy... it would be much appreciated[8D]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bowhunting river areas...where should i hang my stand???

Sounds to me like you figured it out for your
self,are you close to a bedding area you should
be in good shape come opening day,good luck
hunt hard,hunt safe!!
Old 07-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

hey yeah i' m bout 75 yards from a bedding area.... thanx
Old 07-23-2003, 06:50 AM

I hunt an area similar to that. My only advise is..... my success rate skyrocketed when I started accessing my area by boat. The deer just don' t expect the danger to come from that direction ! Good Luck !
Old 07-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only thing that I have to add is to watch the wind direction, and swirling winds. I have found that to be a big factor in river bottoms. The prevailing wind may not be what you think. And wind often changes direction easily because of cross wind. When I used to hunt them I had deer scent me from directions that I never thought possible.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:55 PM

You almost described my best stand!! The only thing that I do different is back off of the major trail, and find secondary trail that cross. These trails are normally covered with rub lines, and sometimes even scrape lines. The larger bucks will tend to use these trails to intersect the major trail. Here is where they like to do all of thier ' scent checking' . But it sounds to me like your on one!!! Just stick to it & hang in there!!! Good Luck!