Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead hip quiver?

Old 07-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default Broadhead hip quiver?

I remember a while back a feller asked what type of quiver guys used for hunting. Most said bow quiver, and that they take it off in the stand. I fell into the catagory in the past but this year am starting to think. I' ve paper tuned my bow, practiced out to 50 yrds, (will only shoot to about 35 due to my stand locations), and tuned my bow to shoot broadhead to shoot the same as my field points. All this without a quiver bracket on my bow. I really believe that even a little weight will change my impact. Soooo, I' m thinking of using a hip quiver for hunting.

To those who use one, what are the pros and cons of it? Has someone tried one and went back to the bow quiver? Why?

Thanks for you time.[&:]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead hip quiver?

Randy Ulmer wrote an article on this and i
have used a hip quiver and still do once in
awhile but am useing a Cat 11 and like the
protection for my feathers,etc plus the small
back pack keeps all my goodies close at hand!!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 AM

I prefere to use a bow quiver coz I do alot of walking through bush and under shrubs and stuff like that. I used to use a hip quiver but when doing alot of walking I found that some of my arrows mysteriously disappeared from my quiver.[][:@]

I also think that when using a hip or back quiver you create alot of movement when getting arrows compared to getting arrows from a bow quiver. With an increase in movement it increases your chances of being sprung by your game.[:@] Hope i helped. Catchya
Old 07-23-2003, 09:20 PM
tm
Fork Horn

I use a Bohning Lynx 4 arrow quiver on a Sidewinder mount that allows me to pivot the arrows so they hang horizontal or verticle. I like it cause it keeps my arrows in it and they don' t stick up if I get down and crawl. Haven' t used a bow quiver in years because of the added weight and problems. I do put a mount on my bow so if I need to I can switch it to that for climbing into a tree or something, but when I get up there it comes off the bow.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:01 PM

I have never used a hip quiver, but this year I am contemplating on using my 3d quiver with a hip wader belt. It is a comfortable quiver, I don' t stalk game, and when I am at my stand I can loop it around the tree that I am in. I guess it will double as a 3d quiver and a hunting quiver. I will have to try it out, if I don' t like it I will go with the qwikee 1 pc. quiver. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:45 AM

I use a Cat Quiver which is a back quiver and I`ll never use a bow quiver again. I love it for spot and stalk/call moose hunting and it doesn`t seem to get in the way in the thick stuff either. I will add that at the end of a long day my bow feels alot lighter than my hunting partners without a quiver and arrows on it.