Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hung a stand does it sound decent????

Old 07-18-2003, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Hung a stand does it sound decent????

where in irwin? private ground or public? my gf lives in rillton.....
that place sounds like a great spot. i love to hunt near small streams(3-6ft wide) and dried up creek beds. the deer love to follow them. any way u can really tell if the stand is good is on oct 4. when bow season starts up.....good luck! maybe i will see you out there some time
Old 07-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Legacy, i Live actually in penn township, it is jsut like 5-10 mins from rillton. I go fishing at Indian Lake out there sometimes.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:58 PM

I agree with both nub and tazman. Watch those secondary trails, these trails look less traveled....and are commonly marked with rub lines. Theis is were the big boys like to enter..

Also like nub said, be sure you dont just jump in the middle of a spot. Set up a stand on a distant trail, where you can view all the action, then gradually move in over time, using the Knowledge you obtain while observing. Alot of people move into an area without veiwing where these deer like to pop out. Just because the sign is there, doesnt always mean you can tell where a deer will come. But by watching every chance you get, you can kinda narrow down a good stand site

By adding simple, gradual strategy I feel that not only does it add to the enjoyment, but also the success of hunting.

It sounds crazy, but look at hunting like a baking cake, if some ingredients are there, but not others, it may just not rise the way you wanted it to!!

Also, while putting it all together, don' t forget that just because deer are there now. Doesn' t mean they will be there in the fall. A mature buck will sometimes move up to 3 quarters of a mile in the fall. I personally tend to back away from these spots and hunt concentrations of mast crop in early fall. Then I tend to find myself moving closer to the ' rub lines' towards the beginning of the rut

Just be patient, watch this spot very carefully, and it sounds like there may be a bruiser in there somewhere!! Good Luck