Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mercy kill last night.

Old 07-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mercy kill last night.

Good story Don, life can be cruel at times as we hunt long enough, things can happen that are not good but the animal should be put down ASAP and the hell with calling for assistance from the aurthorities and if you can use the meat then by all means do it, I am not too proud to pick up a fresh road kill deer as opposed to leaveing it there to rot for the critters, I' ll take my chances with a juror as far as the defination of humane goes and if it sounds like I have a bitter taste in my mouth than maybe I do as I had to put a deer down that had gotten tangled up in a barb wire fence along a highway here, motorists had stopped along the road and just watched as the deer was doing cartwills in the strands of wire shredding its skin and baaaaa-ing, it was not a good seen in watching this as I could take no more and shot my 38 two times in killing it, I untangled the deer along with another motorist and let it lay on the ground, due too all the people that witnessed this, I called the local game warden in what had happen and after waiting a couple hours of waiting he showed up and threaten me with a ticket stateing that the deer could of had a chance to get out and would have to right me a ticket, I told him to do what you got to do, but after all the people cleared out he told me to get lost. Bobby
Old 07-17-2003, 11:22 PM

It deeply troubles me to hear of an animal' s suffering. One of the first thing we learn as hunters is " quick and humane kills" . I cannot stand the site of a helpless animal.

One of my ex-girlfriends uncles was laying in bed one morning, and all of a sudden heard the crys of a fawn...There was a high cliff across the creek from his house. Evidently, some how it had fell from the cliff, and was laying still in the creek crying something awfull. All of her legs were broke. So he took its life imediately, and took it into the garage and made soup meat out of her.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar situation last year. Bottom line I use a knife and did and put the deer down. I hate doing it, but it need done. It happend on national forest land and what I did was not " legal" , but it was ethical and the right thing to do. It was very difficult and something I hope I never have to do again, but I will if the need comes up.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

thank God you were there.............a couple of years ago as the truck in front of me went by , a small button buck got caught in a fence and broke it' s back, no firearm was available, so it had to be taken out with a knife to the throat and hammer to the head, took about 2.5 seconds, i had never seen anything like it before, but i understood why he did it, didnt like it, but i understood and believe it or not it was quick and looked like the buck didnt suffer.....hated it though......mm mmm mmmmmmmmm................the only one i ever had to put out of it;s misery was a an old turkey , dying, the people kept moving it out of the sun, just waiting for it to pass, 2 days later, he was just laying there, i had to be the one to take him out......thank God i had just gotten my bow, an arrow to the head and he was at peace.......i can' t believe they just kept moving him[:' (]he was a pet for years.....he was so big and he had a bad foot so he didnt move much, his beard grew in width, not length, it' s the coolest beard i have, looks liek a brillo pad
Old 07-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve put three down on the road in the last two years. One was a little tricky. Houses close by. Doe was laying half in a three foot ditch trying to paw out of it. My dad is a retired police and now a magistriat judge. He was on the phone with dispatch and when they said it would be awhile before any Deputy could get there, he said we would take care of it. Well I said we have two options, pocket knife or my 45 Glock. The deer' s back was broke and she still had full use of her front legs and I was' nt intrested in getting wacked with her front paws. So he called back dispatch and said we were going to have to shoot the deer. So I went and grabbed her back leg and pulled her back down in to the ditch. With her head down in the ditch and in the safest direction I could, I waited till no cars and that was is it.

Another one happened at the end of this past deer season. I was going to work on a Monday morning, when I was about a mile from the house, I seen a deer laying on the side of the road. As I drove by its head lifted up and watched my drive by. Well I was aready cutting it close to being late, so I kept going. When I got to the top of the hill, I decided I could call in late anyway. So I pulled off and turned around to go back. I called on my cell phone and told them Id be late cause there was a hit deer still alive on the side of the road. My 45 cal. Glock rang out and releived both of us. I was loading it up in my S-10 truck when a school bus came by. Felt kind of bad there for a minute, school bus full of kids seeing some dumb redneck pickin up some road kill. Then I called my dad as I headed back to the house to clean it. Told him to call the Sheriffs office and tell them I had to shoot the deer cause it was still alive & looking at the cars driving by. Only about half the deer was busted up. So we got a little meat out of it.

Deer meat is deer meat, sometimes we get some thats already tenderized
Old 07-19-2003, 10:31 PM

right before archery season this past year i was standing at my bus stopped and looked up the road for a buddy of mine and saw a deer layin there tryin to crawl into the woods so i ran up and got him and when we got to her we couldnt see that she was breathing and she wasnt moving so we each grabbed her and drug her off the road well when we got home from school she was still alive i felt awful that she lived all day well we each got a .22 pistol and shot her in the heart simaltaneously she passed imediatly to our relief it was soo sad to see her liek that
Old 07-20-2003, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

This are some interesting stories. I have a story myself that hopefully noone in here will look down on me but i think its only fair to tell everyone since they told their stories. Back when I lived in Montana when i was living with my ex girlfriend we were going to a friends house and they live close to the Missouri River. It was later in the evening and the road we were on ran along side the river itself(about 10 feet from water itself) I was driving at a safe speed then all of a sudden this doe came out from behind a tree and into my path. I hit the breaks and turned left (happy to say no incoming cars were near by) but the doe was so spooked that she went the same direction i did and i hit the back part of her, breaking both her legs. I pulled over to the other side of the street and checked on my ex to see if she was ok. She was but very shaken up (she has a fear of water from a near death experience when she was little) with humans all okay I checked on the doe with hopes that she was killed on impact but no such luck. I didn' t have a cell phone at the time so i couldn' t call the game warden or the local police so i took it upon myself to end its suffering and it was hard thing to do. Looking back at it at time went on and playing it in my mind. I think the fact that i went left was the best choice because more then likely we would have landed into the water upside down had i gone right instead of left and regardless if i drove slower then i did but i was upset for awhile at myself for hitting it though, even though it was an accident.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a tear jerker........

On the way home from my fiance' s house a couple weeks ago, I saw a Big doe and a fawn w/ spots run infront of the a truck in front of me. The doe was killed on impact. The fawn somehow managed to only get knocked down. The truck never stopped. As a matter of fact, he stepped on it before i could get his liscense plate.

I stopped to check on the fawn. Little guy was too stunned to run away from me but was able to stand on his own. With his mother dead, I gave the little guy a looking over and all he had was a small cut on his head no broken bones or anything that i could see or feel. (That' s the closest i came to a live wild deer)

It was pretty late and I tried calling the Game Commission to have them come and pick up the baby fawn and maybe get it to a local deer farm or something. When i couldnt' get ahold of a Game Commissioner, i called the local police (huge mistake) to see if they could get ahold of G.C. or animal rescue to pick the little guy up. The police said that they would have somebody out there as soon as they could.

By the time the cop got there, i had a leash around the fawn and he was walking around a bit, kind of how a dog would have not putting up a fight or anything. The cop came over and was talkign to me about what happened. He thought i had hit the deer until he saw that there was no damage on my car and the doe 50 yards further up the road.

The cop walked over to the fawn and looked at him a bit. Pulled out his pistol and shot it in the head! This fawn was in good shape! He would have been fine, he just needed somebody to take care of him since his mother was killed.

I know what your thinking.... This fawn was a wild animal. You should have left him alone and wander into the woods alone. Cycle of life... He would have been food for the Coyotes.... blah, blah blah blah blah.

This little guy struck a heart cord... he was so small and fragile, and if i' d have known that that flippin cop was going to shoot him, i' d have put him in my car and taken him home and raised him myself.

I' ve shot many deer and don' t have a problem with killing deer for food or a mercy kill, but this fawn was fine and the event was outragous.

Needless to say, after the cop did that, i didn' t say a word to him. Just got in my car and left. I had some pretty choice words to say to him but that would have landed my butt in jail. I' ll admit, this tough guy cried the whole way home.......

Sad stories..... Let' s talk about something happy next time.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is a tear jerker...........all of em' are , but that one especially.....[:' (]