Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quick Help!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Spike

Default Quick Help!

I just shot a buck this morning and I cant tell if it was a good shot or not. I should have hit it right in the lungs but the deer stayed close and and just limped around so I thought it was a leg shot. But there was alot of blood on the ground where i shot it and i though I could see blood around the spot i was aiming for. The blood on the ground was bright red and i couldn't find any hair. I think the deer was close and i didn't want to scare it away so i left the woods and Im waiting it out. Was it a good shot and if it was a leg shot what are the chances that i'll still get it.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ummm......Im going to say leg shot isn't a good shot. Pray you hit an vein or something. You might of had a good hit on the buck too. Find your arrow and go from there. It could of hit the shoulder and busted it. Are u using fixed or mech broad heads?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Leg hit will be a darker blood then a lung hit....What was on your arrow? Based on what you describe, great decision to back out. Give it 6-8 hours and head back in and bring toilet paper with you, if you jump him back out and wait overnight.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

If you have the cold temps tonight let him lay. Go out in the morning and see if you can find him. Since you do not know the placement of your shot for sure, best thing to do is back out and let him die if the hit was to a vital area.

Hopefully it get's cold in ohio tonight and you can allow him to expire.
Goodluck,
Dave