Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can anybody give me a reason NOT to buy

Old 07-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can anybody give me a reason NOT to buy

The SCOUT range finder by BUSHNELL?I was looking at this thing and am VERY close to ordering--anybody gonna talk me out of it?
Old 07-15-2003, 02:33 PM
nub

Default RE: Can anybody give me a reason NOT to buy

Do they still eat batteries?[]
Old 07-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I' m into my second season with my Bushnell Yardage Pro 500 . . . still on the original battery. I might try to talk you into buying the Scout but not out of it!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a scout , and i love it . When i use it, u may think u will have time to range the animals on the way in but thats not the case. once u see them u wont want to rustle around to get it. I usually take mine in , range as soon as i get there , then put it away for the day. But they r awesome for target shooting , u know exactly how far u r practicing from. So overall id say invest in it.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

jsasker, wish I could help ya man, but I can`t.

I switched from a yardage pro 500, to a scout last year myself. Minr is still on the original battery. I got mine after they fixed the battery drain problem.

My scout is better than my 500 model. Built in rain mode.

It actually picks up targets farther than the 500 will.
I compared it to the nikon 400, and the Leica, and I prefered the scout personally.

Sorry I couldn`t help!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:40 PM

no help here I have the sport and love it
Old 07-15-2003, 09:46 PM

Are you hunting with a bow in open or semi-open terrain, and need to determine the distance of your quarry for your tactical aggress, if on foot, and/or your POI once your quarry reaches the spot or spots you have picked to make your shot? If so, you should carry a good and reliable range finder.

Or….

Are you hunting with a bow in foliaged/timbered terrain, while sitting in a blind or stand, and you simply want to determine how far out of your known (maximum) shooting range and zones the deer are, just for kicks and giggles?

When the deer arrive at any of your predetermined zones and distance, are you actually going to use a range-finder to determine what you should already know, while the deer are close and within your predetermined shooting distances, of 0 to 20, 25, or 35+ yards? Or, are you going to be on the string and fully cocked?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

C903

Man you really are full of it sometimes.Just kidding.

The best way for a bow hunter to know how far an animal is,is with a rangefinder.No getting out around your stand location and stepping yardage and spreading scent.You can get familiar very quickly with new stand locations as far as yardage is concerned.Get in your stand,get settled in and range some different structures around the stand.When the moment of truth comes.No quess work.And yes,from time to time you can actually judge the animal before shooting.Been there and done that but usually you already will know because you will know the structures you have picked out by heart.

I say it is a worthy investment and I never leave home without my rangefinder.Even though I am an avid 3-d shooter and I am a pretty good with yardage.I still like the security of the rangefinder and confidence it gives when hunting in different terrain and from elevated positions.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

O.K. then i' ll be ordering myself a SCOUT this week--THANKS for the help guys!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I loved the features of it and the size but had this problem and returned it

" Do they still eat batteries? "

" Minr is still on the original battery. I got mine after they fixed the battery drain problem."

If this is true I would have no problem getting another one

Quick Reply: Can anybody give me a reason NOT to buy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.