Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where to practice??????/

Old 07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where to practice??????/

Well it' s that time again to get out the bow and start shooting. I was wonderin weather it is better to practice from a stand or from the ground? i put up a stand in a tree in my yard to shoot from , but also sometimes shoot from the ground. Does anyone know which is better, or how many of u shoot from a stand??

Thanks DoubleLung
Old 07-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Default RE: Where to practice??????/

i didn' t know there was a time to " get the bow out" -- are you ever supossed to put it away?

i practice from both. mainly hunt out of a stand but you never know when you might walk up on one. but the if yoiu hunt both then it seems like the best thing to do would be practice at both situations so you will know exactly how to handle your bow and the situation
Old 07-15-2003, 01:52 PM
nub

I shoot from both. Join a club. Ours has easy to reach elevated stands. Walk up the steps and shoot.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot from both ground and elevated. Since your just starting to shoot, I would shoot from the ground for a couple sessions. This will get your muscles re-trained with your bow. It will also let you get your rythem and technique back. When you are confortable again, then get up high. When you are pretty comfortable up high start shooting in actual hunting positions. If you hunt from the ground a lot...start shooting from one knee, it could happen. In a tree, start shooting while seated. Shoot behind the tree. Basically, start shooting from uncomfortable positions. Not all shots in the woods are broadside at 15 yards with no branches in the way. Put yourself in real world positions.

My $0.02

justhrowit
Old 07-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

P.S...I often shoot from a rooftop or a balcony. Often times it' s easier than putting up a stand.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can' t say that one is better then the other. I would suggest practicing both. Toward hunting season though, if you plan on hunting from a stand, I would lean toward practicing from an elevated position.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:35 PM

If I were in your situation I would start with a few weeks of serious ground shooting - concentrating on form and groups. like justhrowit said.

If your going to change anything on the bow do it now and practice hard with it.

Once my groups out to all ranges were tight and consistant then I would start to climb. Roof tops anf such are good - but nothing beats shooting out of the " actual" stand you will hunt out of.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:20 PM

AMEN CLICK!

Never put that baby down! I' d hit the 20 yd bale and get your form. Then climb high and BEND AT THE WAIST!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said it Rack-Attack!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:44 AM

If you hunt out of a stand then definatley practice from an elevated position, especially a couple of weeks before season and during the season. I usually shoot from the ground up until august and then I will put up a couple of stands in the yard at different heights and practice %90 of my shooting from there until season opens. Two weeks before season opens I put on all my camo, headnet and all and practice that way every other day. Once a few years ago when I lived in a small nieghborhood, a jogger saw me standing on top of my house in full camo, with face mask on and bow in hand.[] Next thing I know 2 sheriff deputy cars pull into the driveway. Luckily they werent to concerned when they saw me as they were
bowhunters also.[8D]

Quick Reply: Where to practice??????/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.