Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions needed!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions needed!

Went out tonight and seen a nice buck at about 85 yards. He didnt act like he wanted to come in so i threw the book at him as for calling goes and nothing worked. Finally he started walking back into the brush. When he barley got back into the brush i decided to slowly reach down, get my rattlin antlers and tickle them a little bit and maybe he might want to come invesgate. He must have seen he and he just turned and just trotted off with his tail in the air. I dont think he was spooked to bad he just wasent sure what he saw. So heres the deal, tomorrow will be the last evening i can hunt till next weekend, and by then i figure the bucks will be out of there core area chasing does, and this spot is this deers core area. So i was thinking that tomorrow at around noon or so, i would go down there and move my stand close to where he came out and hunt there tomorrow. Do you think this would be a good idea or should i just abandon the area and move on? Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appricated!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

1st do whatever your gut tells ya and take what I say however you want, I don't want to mess you up. You could move to a whole new area and get a even bigger deer or stay and get the one you seen. It's kind of a gamble.
If it was me personally I'd move closer to where you seen him but do no calling whatsever this time and hope he would show up again.
Hope ya get 'em and Good luck!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just it, im not sure what to do. Part of me says go back there and try it again and another part of me says go somewhere else.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Not spooking him was a good thing, How close to his trail are you I know you said you saw him at 85 yards but is that also where he went in ? if SoI would move no close than 25-30 yards provided the wind is good and also most importantly the cover !!
as far as calling Me personally I go with the antlers first and just tickle them Not smash I have twice in my life called in a deer with a call, so I go with the antlers first and if posible use real ones. IMO it does make a differance. not to mention thats what works best for me Where I hunt.
Good Luck
Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that place where he came out is in his daily routine. Go for it. I would move a couple trees or so. You will never know if you do not try.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wayne,
I'd say stick with it but whatever your first thought was, go with that, too many times I've re-thought plans and the solution I went with the 2nd time has costed me. Good luck bud go with your gut.

Ryan.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think im gonna move in on him, hopefully it works out, thanks guys.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It happens....same thing happened to me last year with this guy!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely move in on him...good time of year to be hunting bedding areas. They will be roaming around more in the next few days/weeks, so I would get in closer to that brush before he is on the move for a while. Probably his bedding area, and you will have your best chance of seeing him close to dark. Just make sure the wind is coming from the brush to you...if the wind is not in your favor, abandon it. If you can get fairly close to bedding areas right now, you will see some deer during the last hour or so of daylight. Hopefully you will see that big boy! And, be as quiet as you can when getting set up!