Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

layering what to get?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default layering what to get?

i get cold really easy so i am in the market to get some good layering for cold weather. i hate bulky clothes so i am wanting something that is just like base layers. what i wear from first of the season to mid season about 40 degrees is the coldest this year i got to sit before i tagged out. is scent lok base layers then timber fleece 360 wind proof scent lok. i am looking for something that is silver lining or scent lok. i have looked at the under armour cold gear does this stuff really work? i seen some avery base layers that were a lot cheaper felt heavy but it wasn't silver lining or scent lok. the only reason i want scent lok is because i have spent all of my money on scent lok base layers and outer layers so i might as well have scent lok layer clothes. i am not worried if it gets to hot where it is easy to sweat in because i walk into my stand with very little on so i dont sweat.it doesn't have to be scent lok or silver lining just preferred. what are some other stuff to at? thanks for the ideas and suggestions.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have the right idea on what you need, or what to get... I have never bought any under armor stuff. They say it works very well. I hunt in a t-shirt and shorts under my camo coveralls. As it get colder I put on pants and a sweet shirt.. I don't buy all that fancy stuff..... But thats just me...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Under armor cold gear is the berries... I'll vouch in any court to that. I have been using it for five or six years now. I do a lot of duck hunting... where you sweat your butt off working and hauling and setting up and then sit stock still for several hours... that sweat drying will make you wet and then you'll freeze... even deer hunting... walking in when the afternoon is young and sun is high dressed for the cool of dusk... you can work up quite a sweat.

Underarmor wicks away that moisture and helps it dry quickly... thats why it works so well....

Now, I have tried other underarmor products.... the heat gear (espeically) I think is absolute junk. Their cold gear is the only thing I'd spend any money on.

Secondly... this is just me... but for layering... nothing but nothing beats wool. Go down to the thrift store/second hand shop (especially just after christmas) and find you some 100% wool (merino wool even better) sweaters. Pick a nice neutral color... doesn't have to make a fashion statement... its a layering garment. Last time I was there I bought a brand new lucky brand sweater and a brand new LL Bean sweater... both still had the original tags on them. They both cost over $75 EACH retail... my total cost as the Children of the Kings Daughters Thrift Store... $8.40 out the door. Wool insulates even when it is wet.

So I use my UA cold gear... a wool sweater and then usually just my winter hunting coat for whatever I am hunting. I have one for deer and one for waterfowl. On haneously cold days, sometimes I'll put on a fleece thermal hoody over the wool sweater..

You don't want too many layers because dead air space is what will keep you warm!

Another little trick of the trade here.... Go to the pharmacy dept in wal-mart and get some of the Therma-care back heaters... comes with the stupid looking belt thing sometimes... or you can just get the stick on kind.... they are like hot hands that you put on your back... put one of those on your spine where the blood flows to your lower body and you could hunt in a snow storm wearing jeans and a flannel shirt.