Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never used Stabilizer or Wrist strap. Question?

Old 07-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default Never used Stabilizer or Wrist strap. Question?

I have bow hunted for 14 years. I have never used a stabilizer or wrist strap. I have pretty good luck with my accuracy, both with field points and broadheads. Wondering what I may be missing or if it would be worth adding either.

What improvements might I see or expect? Only consider a short stabilizer (8" or less) as I like everything compact.

My setup: Mathews Ultra-Max, 60# 28" . Regular TM hunter rest with teflon sleeves. Cosmic sight (new). Quickie quiver removed from bow while in tree. Gold Tip arrows. Shockwave 100g heads. Peep without rubber tube. Peep aligning nock below regular nock. Cobra caliper release. Old fashion yarn sting puffs.

thanks for any help.

Dayton
Old 07-14-2003, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Never used Stabilizer or Wrist strap. Question?

In my opinion you should be shooting the Golden Key Futura Tranquilizer stabilizer. I thought it was a gimick when I talked with Robert at GKF, but when I put it on I could not believe my ears when I shot my bow. It took all the vibration out and it was very noticable to my ears. I didn' t think my bow was loud until I put it on and I must say wow. If you decide to get one tell Robert I sent you his way and tell him to give you a hat.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:22 PM

i took mine off its just one more thing to carry in the mountains. i did not notice any differants in groups with it or not now if i was hunting whitetails and it made my bow quiter i would use one.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:33 PM

I never used one the first few yeares bow hunting, but than tried it and had good luck with it. I actually shot better groups with it on, than off....IMO
Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 PM

As for the Tranquilizer I am in total agreement with SCC Outdoors. I put it on my bow and WOW!!! I get more comments at the range on how quiet my bow is now. The shock has been taken out too. I give it an A++!! As for using a wrist strap, I found it to be more of a pain than help. I didn' t feel like I had a lot of control of my bow when I shot and getting my hand in seemed more like a job too me IMO. I would definately go with a stabilizer and would reccomend the Tranquilizer but as for the wrist strap, all I could say is try one for a while and see what you think. It helps a lot of people but didn' t do it for me.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

I' m going to give a generic answer of sorts; you can see in my sig file that follows I have my preferences as well. But to answer your questions: I have used a wrist strap since 1964 or 1965. It can prevent you from having to hold your bow as you shoot and if you are well practiced, it will prevent you form torquing your bow since it is not necessary for you to grab your bow as you shoot. I just allow my bow to rest in the web between my thumb and forefinger. [at times though I still find myself grabbing my bow. The result is usually a grouping low right of my aiming point.]

As for the stabilizer, it absorbs shock from the release and therefore allows you to hold better and steadier on target and definitly improves one' s accuracy tremendously. The stabilizer and wrist strap are logically so important to me that I carry spares of both with my spare release.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:24 AM

Ranger690,

A stabilizer has benefits and drawbacks. the main draw back is the added bulk and weight. New technology has really help reduce weight while still maintaining balancing and shock reduction. I have a stabilizer that has the " Sims" rubber shock dampening and it works great. It is the best stabilizer I have ever owned (I' ve had enough bow gadgets to sink a battleship). You can also adjust the length from 6" to 10" . The main benefits to a stabilzer on a bow are: it helps balance your bow to help keep it still in that split second between the break of the shot and when the arrow actually leaves the string. Another benefit is shock reduction. A stabilizer absorbs vibration from the limbs, cams, riser, sight, rest,and string. This reduced vibration will extend the life of your bow and its parts. If you ever get to see slow motion video of a bow being shot, the amount of bending and shaking that happpens ia amazing...hope this helps...david
Old 07-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the way dick_cress said it and agree, I shoot open handed and did so for years without a wrist strap, however my new bow came with one so I do use it, my old bow didn' t have a stabilizer either, my new one does, I have never shot my new bow with out the stablizer so I can not tell you if it helps or not, but I have shot it without the wrist strap, my groups opened up, not a lot but some. If you shoot open handed the wrist strap, I feel will help tighten your groups up, it doesn' t have to be tight, just enough to keep your bow from falling, I feel it is more psychological with me than an actual aid.