Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bucks keep coming in just AFTER dark...

Old 10-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Spike

Default bucks keep coming in just AFTER dark...

this has happened the past 3 times i have sat for afternoon hunts. i will see several does and small bucks as the evening gets closer. there always seems to be that "majic time" just before dusk when the deer are really on the move. but the past three times, i have had 3 really nice bucks come in after shooting light. im not the kinda person that will risk the shot. i put my bow up but cant even see my pins. anybody have this happen to them. its like they know and are teasing me. any ideas or tips to get them in sight about 10-15 mins earlier???
Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

If it was me I would get closer to there bedding area so you'll intercept them sooner. If they're coming from the same direction everytime that's where they are bedding at. I would also do it after a rain so ya can sneak in there quietly.
But I would also do it soon because when the rut picks up they'll probably be in the next county.
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Give it a few days and they will get off of the late night movement... Im not sold on the whole "lunar" theory, but I will admit when I notice a change in the deer, and the moon does have some qualities about it that make the deer move later... Plus with the moon waning and the rut starting, you should have no trouble getting a shot!