Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Buck Target Time?

Old 07-12-2003, 10:42 PM

Default New Buck Target Time?

Any comments on the Glen Del target besides the antlers are foam and they break easy? I might want to get one...................
Old 07-13-2003, 01:11 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Buck Target Time?

I asked this about a month ago and no one replied don. I guess one of us is going to have to try it out and see if it is any good. How bout you get one then tell me if it is any good.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:48 PM

yea mez I will get one and let all you know. I must have missed your post[&:].
Old 07-14-2003, 02:46 AM

yeah block came out with a new deer target ....
it looks like a deer but the middle is the block part it is awesome i will buy one i think thay are going for 200.00...
if thay last as long as the block block it a steal there awesome .....good luck

big al bowmansville ny wny
Old 07-14-2003, 04:36 PM

$179.00 at Gander Mtn or Cabelas, If you get before I do let me know, na or ya?
Old 07-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don,
Maybe not what you want to hear but i' ll throw it out there.........I was thinking about that target last night, and I have a regular BLOCK target now. I also have the Morell Bionic Buck.
The center spot on my Block will after not what I would consider a ton of shooting allow some arrows to penetrate to the fletching.........It got soft pretty quick in that one specific area. Not a problem because its just a square with other dots, but with the Glendel buck you WANT TO keep shooting that one spot over and over. I think the " Sweet Spot" might wear out a little faster than you' d like for a $200 target.........but then again I' m only basing this on my experience with the Block.
My Bionic Buck on the other hand just keeps absorbing shot after shot in one small area with nothing more than a lightly frayed cover.........and if I do shoot it out I just stuff a few more rags etc. into it and staple on a new cover and I' m back in business.
What is the replacement process for the Glendel? Might be something to think about.
Oh and one other thing........if you ask me, they designed the glendel wrong in the first place.........Since the majority of Whitetail hunters are hunting from trees at steep angles, the layers of foam in the buck should be oriented vertically. Another reason i think you will shoot it out quicker as you actually shoot holes in the foam rather than between the layers as the target is intended.
The Makers of the block even recommend that you turn that target on end vertically if you are shooting from a stand or at an angle.........Something ELSE to think about.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Matt, the replacement process is a plus on the Glen Del as far as I can tell. There is a lever that holds the individual sheets of foam down. If you have a small spot that is wearing you can rearrange the sheets to move the shot out spot, you can also turn them around. Seems to give you a lot of leeway. You can also buy replacement sheets a few at a time, so you don' t have to replace all of it at once. My only concern would be how tight the handle compresses the layers.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:07 PM

Mez / Matt, thanks for info. The layers are replaceable and if you add a few extra " foam" pieces you will compact the shooting area even tighter. And the replacement pads can be bought for the whole area or just some to add to replace the bad ones.
...and if I do shoot it out I just stuff a few more rags ect.
Matt, is that all thats in the bionic buck, rags?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:52 PM

I will second Matt' s words on the Bionic buck. If you are going to shoot field points and don' t need super life like detail this target will last for a LONG time.

AND sooooo easy to pull out[8D]
Old 07-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don,
A lot of the stuffing is sort of a quilted cotton fiber.........probably similar to the stuff found in those cheap quilted lined jackets., mixed with some foam bits and other assorted cloth. Simple and stops em' dead........and I' m shooting carbon arrows in the 300fps/80+ ft lb of KE range.
Its an amazing target....and like Rack said pulling arrows is just silly. It makes even pulling arrows out of the Block feel like a chore, and there is absolutely no comparison to a reg. foam 3D target. You can' t shoot broadheads into it, but for field point shooting I don' t see how you can beat it.