Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow season ny

Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Spike

Default bow season ny

hey fellow hunters

next saterday is bow season for ny me and my dad spent time scouting these 2 farms and im hoping to shoot my first deer with a bow..im soo excited and stuff but yet at the same time nervous cause last year i missed a 20 yard shot so.. and tips on how to stay calm
Old 10-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I can't wait for saturday eithier. I live in NY too. The main thing i try to do when i see a deer is stare at the spot i want to hit. Don't stare at the antlers. Don't sweat missing at 20. First deer i ever shot at with a bow i missed at 10. It happens to everyone and with time you will learn to stay calm and make the shot. Just focus on where you want to hit and following through and you will be right on. Good Luck to you on saturday, hope you whack a big one.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Spike

Hope you get one. Try to picture yourself seeing a deer and shooting at it in your head, might make it seem more natureal to you when you see the deer. Also remember to pick a point on the deer and aim for that one point not the whole animal.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Aim small, miss small bud.
Pick a hair on the area of the vitals, and aim for that hair. True, you probably can't actually see a single hair, but you can pick a small point to aim at, which will help you get your arrow going where you want it to.
Think of it like this - you're aiming at a soccer ball - would it be better to aim at the whole ball, or would it be better to aim at one of the dark spots near the center?
I'll bet dollars to the hole in a donut that if you try it on a target before you go out, you'll be able to do it on a deer too.
Good Luck and God Bless!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the "buck Fever" goes away, then hunting is no longer fun, its just something to do. When the day comes that I don't get "buck fever" I will hang up my bow, because then I'm not having fun.... I have been getting my stuff around and making sure I have everything. I don't want to wait till the last minute and need something. As it is, I cant even practice shooting right now. I just had surgery Sep 29th and I'm not suppose to be doing anything yet. I will be able to start shooting again Tuesday or Wednesday. I cant wait for the 16th. I moved all 4 of my stands and I'm pretty excited about what I have been seeing at them all. No monster bucks, but shooters for my area no the less. Be safe everyone and good luck
Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

You guys must live in the southern teir eh? I've been in the woods since September 27th haha. Early smokepole starts the 16th for me...back to the main subject though :P. I got my first deer with a bow this year...smoked him. And I did just what they have said so far..."aim small, miss small". I like that a lot and it's absolutely true.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HardwoodHunter
You guys must live in the southern teir eh? I've been in the woods since September 27th haha. Early smokepole starts the 16th for me...back to the main subject though :P. I got my first deer with a bow this year...smoked him. And I did just what they have said so far..."aim small, miss small". I like that a lot and it's absolutely true.
Yup, We are the last for everything, lol...
Old 10-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Yup, We are the last for everything, lol...
Hahah, I don't know if I could deal with all that wait...
Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunter good luck to you next week. As far as staying calm... just take a nice deep breath and make it like target practice. You're going to have nerves of some sort, but you have to learn how to stabilize them enough to make the shot. Make sure you've done enough practicing where it's second nature to you and then just perform the shot you know you can make. Get nervous afterwards.

I can't wait for Saturday either. Made the mistake of glassing my land from afar yesterday morning. Watched about a 130" 10 pointer walk right towards one of my stands.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
I can't wait for Saturday either. Made the mistake of glassing my land from afar yesterday morning. Watched about a 130" 10 pointer walk right towards one of my stands.
Gives you something to look forward to... GL getting him Saturday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.