Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cleaning Your Deer Mount

Old 07-12-2003, 03:04 AM

Default Cleaning Your Deer Mount

Ok guys and gals, In the next 2 weeks I will be getting back from the taxidermist the first of my two bucks that I shot with the bow last year.

My question is this: What is the best method and/or products to use, to keep your mounts looking new and clean????

Old 07-12-2003, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cleaning Your Deer Mount

I just use a feather duster on the face and eyes and the valcum cleaner with a brush attachment. Actually my wife does it when she cleans house once a week.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:36 AM

I found a company online that sells this spray stuff. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01324531/
That supposedly removes dirt and stains and keeps it from turning yellow. Its not that expensive so I may invest in some and try it. I posted the link in case anyone wants to give it a shot.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:08 AM

nice job on the buck I usually take them outside the same time I wash the
truck, and spray them down real good, and make sure to wash behind the ear' s[8D] OK just kidding, I use a duster also, as someone mentioned, but a little trick
for future bringing back luster to horns, that start to look dryed out, my taxidermist told me this, a little dab of clean motor oil on a rag, will shine up horns
real good, and also put a protective coat on them
Old 07-12-2003, 08:23 AM

I use a moist rag and wipe them down with the grain, then I spray the nose with hair spray, you will bring out the wet look of the nose. (use alittle more and you will accululate droplets on the hairs of the nose, it looks real)
Old 07-12-2003, 10:30 AM

don, thats somthing my taxadermist allready does on a mount, and does it look
good, he takes a clear polyurathn spray and create' s little water droplets on
the muzzle hair, i love it
Old 07-12-2003, 10:26 PM

norsemen, 10-4, my newer one from last year has it, but the older ones don' t, thats why I do the hair spray, but I might have the older ones (noses) redone. I might do it myself it would be cheaper, but you also get what you pay for too,don' t ya?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:54 AM

Here is a trick that taxidermist use these days. There is a product you buy at a hobby shop called Mod Pog it is like Elmers glue. It is painted on to cover the flesh area and let to dry, over night. It will first appear to be white, it does dry clear, trust me. Then with a hypodermic needle filled with Mod Pog you go and place a drop of paste onto each pad. If your not sure what the pad is, look close to the deers nose and you should see individual pads. When that dries you place another drop over the last to give it a raised look. This process will be safer on the nose than hair spray, because hair spray has alcohol in it which will lead to cracking down the road. It looks sharp!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

A soft rag soaked with warm water on the hairless parts and a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment on the hair.[&o]
Old 07-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m a taxidermist. I tell my clients to simply moisten a rag with any dusting cleaner, like pledge. Wipe off the dust by going with the grain of the hair from nose to shoulder. If you have a ton of dust built up, vaccuming is a good idea. If your mount looks ruffled like , simply comb it after. You can also work the hairs back into place with your fingers. I' ve never heard of using hair spray or motor oil on a mount. Although the hairspray sounds interesting. But not sure on how it' d be on the nose over time. Taxidermy supply companys do make mount cleaners which aren' t a bad idea. I guarentee my work, and do touchups for free on all my mounts. Hey its my work, and my reputation so I want them looking good forever. I use a product called Hair Schene I get from Research Mannikins Taxidermy supply. This can be used after dusting. It puts nice shine back to the coat, and helps keep it smelling good also. One other point I also make to my customers, don' t hang your mounts too close to a woodstove or heating register. They will get dried out, and crack if too close to heat.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Your Deer Mount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.