Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

pope and young bear

Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Question pope and young bear

I shot my first black bear that i posted pics on here a couple of weeks ago. i just talked to the taxidermist and he green scored the skull at 18.5 inches. needless to say i am rather excited because the pope and young minimum is 18.

so my question is after the drying time will the skull shrink enough so that it will drop below 18?

i read somewhere that it usually shrinks about 2/16" is this true.

it is being beetle dipped and i think that is all i am going to do with it for know so it does not shrink any more.

P.S. my moms bear skull measure the same as mine so we both might make the record books the same year.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

It won't shrink a 1/2 Inch In the 60 day drying period. Specially being that your not boiling It. Congratulation's to both you and your mom, that's pretty awesome!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's fantastic!!! Congrats to both of you.....