Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Natural Funnell??

Old 09-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The funnel like everyone else has said would be to the Northwest of your stand where the creek splits the pasture and hay field. You could have a funnel where your stand is if you have some ridges back there that form a saddle or something that makes the deer have to go around and pinch them into an area but without seeing a topo map I can't really tell what you have there.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have placed some red spots on where I would hunt this area with the corn being where it is. Of course you would change the spots according to the wind direction.
Attached Thumbnails Natural Funnell??-hunt-20map.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the advice guys. It is awsome how you can get so much help from fellow hunters on this site. It seems like others are as excited as I am for the opener. After reading your advice and furthur review of my labeling, I realized I was off with my stand location. I am only 40 yards from the hay field and 60 yards from the pasture. I guess I could still move into the funnell more and get closer to the pasture at the same time.
I re-labeled my stand and the deer trails (yellow) that I am seeing. Most of the trails seem to intersect within 30 yards of my tree. Now I guess I just need to hope I get the correct wind. Thanks again for your input and I cant wait to hear your success stories.

P.S. After all of your advice, I may be hanging another stand or two in other locations
Attached Thumbnails Natural Funnell??-hunt-20map.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

Season has been in here since last Saturday...lol. and yes I am still excited....
Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

But don't get too carried away with our suggestions.. You wanted to know where the funnel would be considered. As a couple have suggested... depends on the food they're hitting and all that at this time of year. The funnel would be great if they're traveling it and during the rut when the bucks are cruising. If they're whacking acorns and they're in the middle of the woods, you should be there. The man on the ground has the best call on where to hunt.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Just by looking at it I to would hang my stand in that narrow pinch point there.
im thinking the same
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do the deer? If they do stop there.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

If that inside corner off the field is yours that's a natural funnel. If you don't ruin it deer will always come through there until something changes.