Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

apples

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default apples

If you eat apples in your stand and toss them on the ground would that be considered baiting?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Spike

I'm not being a smart a@@ here, but how many apples are you planning on eating? Two? Then I would say no. A bushel? Yes.

I doubt any game warden is going to ticket you for eating an apple in the stand. Fall is the season they are most plentiful. However, he walks by and you have 50 apples under your stand and you are claiming you are eating all of them. Well.....I tried that already and it doesn't work. J/K
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Post Here's what I used to do as a young'n

waaaayy back in the day, when I had to hunt public land. Mind you it was legal to bait then, and baiting wasn't even an issue. I would hunt, and still do on my property, oak trees. I would go out and gather 100's of pounds of white oak acorns, when the supply around my stand would get low, I would replenish with my stored. Works like a charm in late NOV and all thru DEC. I suppose you could do the same w/ apples, as long as they're not store bought, you can really tell the diff. You have to disperse them as if they fell, I was never a big fan of the "bait pile", it seemed the bigger bucks didn't come into the landscape change. I AM NOT advocating illegal hunting at all. If you can't bait, then DON'T DO IT! A true "hunter/gatherer".

Last edited by tight360; 09-09-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't call it baiting, but you never know if the warden that find's you and your apple is having a bad day i guess... i highly doubt anyone would say thats baiting no matter how bad the day their having is, but you can never be too careful.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

odd thing was a local orchard I go to often offered me some of the less then desirable apples real cheap. Trust me they do not look like store bought apples.
Originally Posted by tight360
waaaayy back in the day, when I had to hunt public land. Mind you it was legal to bait then, and baiting wasn't even an issue. I would hunt, and still do on my property, oak trees. I would go out and gather 100's of pounds of white oak acorns, when the supply around my stand would get low, I would replenish with my stored. Works like a charm in late NOV and all thru DEC. I suppose you could do the same w/ apples, as long as they're not store bought, you can really tell the diff. You have to disperse them as if they fell, I was never a big fan of the "bait pile", it seemed the bigger bucks didn't come into the landscape change. I AM NOT advocating illegal hunting at all. If you can't bait, then DON'T DO IT! A true "hunter/gatherer".