Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target practice

Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default target practice

So i bought a fuse piolot m series 5 pin sight the other day for my new axe 7. i went down to one of the local bow shops and stuck the sight on and began sighting in my first pin in the small indoor range they have in the back of the store. its about 15 yards inside. So im back there shootin with the guys that work there and i get my pin sighted in and me and one of them go outside to shoot. he starts shooting from 45 yards at these 3 foot tall hanging bag targets they got and ask me if i wanna shoot. i was like man i dont know where these pins are gone hit. he was like just shoot the 4th pin and aim at the bottom dot on the target and it should hit close. so i shoot my 4th pin from 45 yards and my arrows goes flying to the top of the tree line. he couldnt believe it was my 4th pin i shot but it was. so i move up to 30yards and shoot my second pin. i aim at the bottom dot on the target and it hits the top of the target about an inch from the top. so i step back to 40 yards shoot again an its hittin about 4 inches from the top of the target and im still shooting at the bottom dot. so i keep stepping back and shooting my second pin until i get to 60 yards and at this point my arrows are hittin about 5 inchces above the bottom dot on the target which ive been aiming at this whole time. the dude that im shooting with is just completely stunned (and me to) that my first pin is set at 15yds and my second pin is hitting at 65yds!!! i never moved my second pin from how the 5 pins were all evenly placed out of the box. my bow is shooting at 315 fps which is decent but not blazing fast. so what do yall think about this? the guy i was shooting with thinks there is something wrong. has anybody had this happen to them?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first pin is good for 15 to 33 yards. My second pin is good for 35 to 45 yards. My other two pins I don't really use. I have shot the 3rd pin at 50 yards and can hit the target. But thats not a good distance to be shooting from for me. To me there are to many things that can go wrong shooting at a deer from that far away. But it is interesting that you can shoot that far out with only 2 pins. Must be a hell of a bow.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Spike

BIGBUCK I would suggest shooting it through paper at 5-10 feet, if it is tearing tail low then your rest could be pushing the arrow up in flight due to the point being angled up upon release..However i just switched to a new Hoyt Alphaburner and i am shooting 1 pin out to 33 yards before it drops and im shooting 287fps..with the speed your shooting you are going to be shooting rather flat. Good luck and keep shooting
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

ive shot it through the paper probably 15 times back to around 8 feet and its shooting bullet holes everytime so i know my bow is paper tuned.