Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

Old 07-10-2003, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Anyone Taken A Bowhunter Education Course?

This is a funny thread for me, I never had to take the course in N.Y. moved from
another state, so the archery tag just carried over, but did sit through a class with
a kid I was getting started in bow, now I have 3 P&Y buck' s from n.y, the guy that' s teaching the class, had never really gotten a deer with a bow, he was the
shotgun instructor[] boy i thought this is going to be funny and it was, I just
kepted my mouth shut, and let this guy ramble on for hour' s about somthing he
knew nothing about, then I straightened the kid out, on the do' s and dont' s after
the class was over,
Old 07-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

no. i havent heard of one being in north dakota. but since i am just starting to bow hunt this yr i wish there was. all my information comes from this forum and some good friends that do alot of bowhunting. when i took my hunter safty class a couple years ago they talked about bowhunting but didnt get into it in real good detail. but i get all the information off here and if i have a question on anything i just ask it and these people on here are so nice that they all want to help the new hunters.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Took my Bow hunter safty course in 75 or 76 at Buttz & Bows by Len Cardinale.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Tennessee does not require an archery license, only the Hunter Safety course. My question to you is; if I were going to apply for a non-resident license in a state that requires Bowhunter safety am I waived of the course requirement?

Thanks and good hunting!!!
jt

Old 07-15-2003, 10:55 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

That depends on the state Mathewsbow 1, in SD you would be if you have held an archery license in another state. WY, MT both require that you have it if you are out of state. I believe Canada may require it also, help me out you guys from up north.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:07 AM

Hey Mathewsbow1 the way I understand it is that some states will not give you a license if you haven' t passed some sort of bowhunter education course. And in fact one funny thing from my course is that they said some states want a number from the card you get when you passed the course, In fact they will not give you a license if you don' t give them a number. Well for some reason PA doesn' t put a number on their cards so they told us in our class to make up some sort of number and write it on our cards. isn' t that a hoot, the PA Game Commission at it' s finest again.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:57 AM

We give 5 hunter education classes per year. 3 Hunter Education classes and 2 Bowhunter Education classes.

The Bowhunter course has to deal, many times, with experienced hunters who want to expand their education or hunt in a different State or on some Federal properties that require the course. It is tough to sit there though the ' known' phase of the course for some; but, it is required because we can' t separate the classes due to knowledge/experience. Since we are primarily an archery shop, we can teach with more tools available and can add a somewhat different perspective over some others teaching the course.

We highly recommend getting the course under ' your belt' just for the sake of possibly learning one thing that will help you. If you are ever going to hunt out-of-State, in Canada, or on certain Federal properties, you should take the course.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:05 AM

i took mine at the ripe old age of 18 , same place as jerseyhunter ! that was many moons ago, how is len by the way? anyway the only thing i really remember was the written test was easy and you had to get three arrows in a paper plate and i think it was about 10 or 20 yards away.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

here in Minnesota its included in gun safety.... We had this guy come in.... he was pretty old.... but he had shot over a hundred deer and lots of otherr species... he decribed what it was like to hunt each kind and also told us of experiences he hadd with tracking them... an example is.... he had a bad shot on a deer once and it ran for miles bleeding... he said he would tie a strip of suveyors tape to a limb every few hundred feet to yards depending on the thickness of the area...he explained that he never found the deer and the reason is the blood trial slowly slakened till it disappeared. He explained the types of bows and that here in mn crossbows are onlly legal for handycapped...he showed us how to put a string on a recurve bow also... thats all i can really think of i took the couse 6 years ago so i' ve kinda forgot a lot of bow stuff from that.