Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speaking of spam and money grubbers

Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Speaking of spam and money grubbers

Have you all noticed the latest little ploy of all the TV stars to take more of your money? It used to be they'd have a contest that you could just enter online in hopes of being the lucky winner. Now they want you to text them to make your entry. Of course it cost you a dollar to enter with normal text rates applying. So what do they get in their weekly give aways? Several thousand entries and the winner gets what, a $40 release, a pair of gloves, a Tee shirt or whatever that cost a couple bucks. LOL They run the contest for 6 months or so and let you enter daily in hopes you may win the grand prize... that would probably cost you $500-$3000 bucks to buy. And how many thousand upon thousands have these text messages brought in. Bad enough that they sell a $5 CD for $25... but really, bilking us a dollar at a time on the cell phone text. I'm sorry, I'm not texting. LOL
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Several thousand!? I'll bet some of them get 100 thousand! But I suppose they have to pay for those big fancy RV bus's somehow.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, everyone has seen how much money American Idol makes off text messages and are now trying to do it themselves. I personally will not enter contests like that.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I noticed that too. All the shows are doing it, should be a crime!
Good to see ya here Dave
Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

We got rid of cable in my house so I haven't watched a new hunting show in over a year. Kind of glad I did, most of those shows are as fake as Pam Anderson's boobies and now it looks like they are following American Idol's business model, classy.....
Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I entered in one of there contests a couple years ago. I did it on line though. It was the stupidest thing I ever did. They wouldn't stop calling me. They kept calling me and wanting me to buy magazines. It was buck masters. I finally had to get real nasty with them on the phone, and they finally stopped calling. I'm sure they pulled my name out of there contest too....
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
I entered in one of there contests a couple years ago. I did it on line though. It was the stupidest thing I ever did. They wouldn't stop calling me. They kept calling me and wanting me to buy magazines. It was buck masters. I finally had to get real nasty with them on the phone, and they finally stopped calling. I'm sure they pulled my name out of there contest too....
Same thing happened to me when I was a kid. I entered in one of their contests when I was like 12 and they called me about 5 times/week for 4 or 5 years, no joke. I was young when it started so I just said I couldn't do it, then I hit the age where I just blew up on the phone and they quit calling.