Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to handle a land/lease

Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how to handle a land/lease

We bought a business in march that moves mobile homes. Not our intention as we wanted the equipment. Well my doctor owned a trailer park and he asked if we would move a trailer for him.

He had bought the trailer from a farmer's daughter. The farmer came by to check on how things where coming and when we would get the trailer moved off the half the lot it sat on so they could start on the clean up and prep for a foundation.

Well the lot sat on about 10 acres and I asked if they saw alot of deer there. He said tons and some turkeys.
He then asked if I hunted
Of course I said, I asked him if he had or knew anyone that would be willing to lease some land for hunting. I told him I just wanted hunting rights, nothing else. He told me he knew of a few farmers who had done it in the past and would talk to them for me.

SO here is my question is there a going rate per acre for a lease? I am in southwest indiana if that helps.

Also should I offer to get some insurance, I know there is a company that gives out insurance for hunting leases?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

You sound like a business man so I am sure you already know this, but low ball 'em at the start. One thing I do is go and take a look at what the taxes are on the property you are wanting to lease and use that to your advantage. I had one farmer whos taxes for 150 acres were only $1200. I offered to pay his property tax for that year and he agreed. I have never met anyone who liked paying taxes. Plus that piece was under $10 acre. If you look at some of the big leasing companies I think that you will find that most of theirs are pushing $20 acre. So $10 per is, IMO, a good price.

Last edited by shoot2thrill25; 08-12-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not a bad idea, we all hate taxes. He asked if it would be just me or others and myself. I told him if the price was right it would just be me and maybe a friend here or there. If it was higher if I could I would get a few others but would be happy by myself.
Originally Posted by shoot2thrill25
You sound like a business man so I am sure you already know this, but low ball 'em at the start. One thing I do is go and take a look at what the taxes are on the property you are wanting to lease and use that to your advantage. I had one farmer whos taxes for 150 acres was only $1200. I offered to pay his property tax for that year and he agreed. I have never met anyone who liked paying taxes. Plus that piece was under $10 acre. If you look at some of the big leasing companies I think that you will find that most of theirs are pushing $20 acre. So $10 per is, IMO, a good price.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having been in this situation several times in the last few years, I wouldn't wait by the phone for a call from the doc about a lease. It could happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

As for the lease pricing, if the person has ever leased before, they will likely come to you with a price in mind, so ask first if they have any prices in mind. I've asked that question first on the three leases i've had, and haven't had to pay money for one yet. I've done some work for the landowners, cook lots of meals, but never has cash exchanged hands. Could just be my incredible charm and dashing good looks, but I highly doubt it. Also, from my experience, get the lease for yourself first, don't mention any friends, because that has a tendency to conjure up images of people running all over the place. My current lease I've had for three years, and the only hunter on it has been myself, not because I don't want to bring people, but because I don't want to upset the landowner by having other people out there. She game permission to me, not my friends. And, three years later now, I talked to her over the weekend, and she actually said that it would perfectly fine with her if I had someone come with me. I never brought it up, and didn't plan to!

I treat hunting permission like the keys to Fort Knox, if I have the keys, then that means I control the access. This lady has basically entrusted me with the trespassing control and fence monitoring, and I'm not about to jeoporadize that by running a bunch of people out there.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ALL very good points.
Originally Posted by YooperMike
Having been in this situation several times in the last few years, I wouldn't wait by the phone for a call from the doc about a lease. It could happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

As for the lease pricing, if the person has ever leased before, they will likely come to you with a price in mind, so ask first if they have any prices in mind. I've asked that question first on the three leases i've had, and haven't had to pay money for one yet. I've done some work for the landowners, cook lots of meals, but never has cash exchanged hands. Could just be my incredible charm and dashing good looks, but I highly doubt it. Also, from my experience, get the lease for yourself first, don't mention any friends, because that has a tendency to conjure up images of people running all over the place. My current lease I've had for three years, and the only hunter on it has been myself, not because I don't want to bring people, but because I don't want to upset the landowner by having other people out there. She game permission to me, not my friends. And, three years later now, I talked to her over the weekend, and she actually said that it would perfectly fine with her if I had someone come with me. I never brought it up, and didn't plan to!

I treat hunting permission like the keys to Fort Knox, if I have the keys, then that means I control the access. This lady has basically entrusted me with the trespassing control and fence monitoring, and I'm not about to jeoporadize that by running a bunch of people out there.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt offer anything up, see what is said 1st.
i have never paid fer a lease...barter is the way to go....."sure mr. farmer...i'd be happy to pull those 200 deer off the property fer ya" since the deer are eating his crops. ( state issued permits for nuisance deer..)
another place i hunt, old man cant ride his tractor to mow the grass...so i mow...fix the fence...tint the windows...just help him out...whatever he ask me to do....i am there

another place i go..friends of mine..i buy gas, food, drinks..basically you name it..i am the funds..never spend over a few hundred a year..

so dont be in a hurry..go spend some time with these guys..get to know them, because you want to hunt the land? no!!! just because....maybe they will say no to hunting, but a friendship is born, and ya can try again the next year.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've leased several properties.
Everyone of them had who would be hunting in the lease.
Insurance is a requirement as well - generally (in NY) a homeowners policy will cover you.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
SO here is my question is there a going rate per acre for a lease? I am in southwest indiana if that helps.

Also should I offer to get some insurance, I know there is a company that gives out insurance for hunting leases?
You aren't in Vanderburgh or Posey Co. by chance are you? Because I'd be that friend to accompany you!

There is a guy in Kentucky who has probably 10-15 tracts, and he was trying to lease each plot for $20 - $25/acre...that seems outrageous for one year of hunting. I'll go door to door before paying that....

I know a lot of guys around here that didn't have insurance for a lease...who ever said it was a requirement?

Last edited by StealthHtr22; 08-13-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

sullivan country, the property would be around he vigo/sullivan line.
Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
You aren't in Vanderburgh or Posey Co. by chance are you? Because I'd be that friend to accompany you!

There is a guy in Kentucky who has probably 10-15 tracts, and he was trying to lease each plot for $20 - $25/acre...that seems outrageous for one year of hunting. I'll go door to door before paying that....

I know a lot of guys around here that didn't have insurance for a lease...who ever said it was a requirement?