Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow string wacks my wrist ?

Old 07-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow string wacks my wrist ?

could be the draw weight or lenght... or it could be theres too much recoil and it causes bad form
Old 07-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you were raking the hide off your entire forearm from your elbow down, then I' d supsect draw length. Getting stung right down on the wrist, it' s likely something else.

When was the last time you checked the bow' s brace height and axle to axle length against factory specs? The rigging system may have accumulated a little creep and is possibly not under proper tension any more.

How tight are your nocks on the string? If they' re too tight, the arrow can drag the string forward of it' s normal travel. It can also cause bad arrow flight, poor accuracy and loss of speed and energy.

You might also add some weight to your arrows.

It could be your grip. It could be your draw length. It could be just dang near anything. Like 5shot said, it' s hard (closer to impossible, really) to tell you what' s going on without watching you shoot. But you' ve got something to check now.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 AM

I recently figured out that the weight of the field points I was shooting can make a difference also. I went to a 100 gr point to increase FOC. I noticed that the string was hitting my arm now and then, but didnt' associate it with the change in point weight. I kept trying to change my form, my stance, my grip and still it would whack me sometimes. Even when it didn' t hit me, I could still feel it coming very close to my arm.

Being that the point weight was the only thing I had changed, I tried putting the 75 gr FP' s back on the arrows. It quit hitting my arm.

Only thing I can figure is the heavier tip could be causing more oscillation in the arrow? Never had this happen before so I don' t have an explanation, I just know it made a difference.

Anybody else have this happen?
Old 07-16-2003, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve had string whack my wrist until I went to a heavier head so it depends on how well your arrows are matched to the bow.

I don' t give my bows a chance to whack me any more. I got rid of every compound I had that braced less than 8 1/2" . I won' t win any fastest bow contests but that' s fine with me. The arrows go where I point them and I don' t get bruised up.