Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looks like I'm moving to Ohio soon....

Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default Looks like I'm moving to Ohio soon....

Just got a job offer in Cleveland .....coming from FL I'm really looking forward to bow season. Probably gonna end up missing most of the approaching season, but hopefully get a few hunts.

Any advice on the areas outside the city that have good schools for young kids would be appreciated. I have absolutely no idea about anything in Ohio, so I’m hoping any of you guys that live in the area can help out a little with suggestions.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live about 1 1/2 hours south of Cleveland. Right down interstate 77 Great hunting here. Usually #1 in kills every year. There are several smaller communities between Cleveland and Akron that are great places to raise a family. Also some good hunting in the Cuyahoga Parks Recreation area. I think this is still open to bow hunting.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Spike

Yeah, my wife and I have found several smaller communities south of Cleveland that look very promising. I started looking at some of the public lands today on the net and open to any suggestions as far as public hunting areas. How are the farmers in general regarding knock and talks about leasing property? After hunting Florida deer my whole life I'm super excited about this move.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to Ohio , you will injoy bow hunting here

There are some 200+ lb bucks running around

Leasing is tough in many areas
Knock on a lot of doors and just ask for permission to BOW hunt
I have better luck getting permission to hunt smaller woods , over grown feilds ect than a big woods

One of my favorit spots is inside a local town
No guns are allowed , but bow hunting is allowed
I hunt a 50 yd wide over grown stip between a subdivision and a oil tank farm

John
Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

welcome to the buckeye state! home of the biggest bucks anywhere! lol..alot of good hunting in the state. check out ohio dnr on the web.. ur also due for a climate change so be ready for winter!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Spike

Yeah....defiantly gonna be a change from the white sands of the gulf coast. I think is gonna be a good trade off.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

welcome to ohio and to start out you are going to need a snow shovel and salt.LOL most farmers around me in central ohio frown on leases but are more than generous about lettin guys bowhunt. take 71 south and you can be in my neck of the woods in about 1.5 hrs too. theres some public land justa few miles from my house with lots of crops and some big deer. kokosing wildlife area check it out
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Spike

Ted I will def check out kokosing wildlife area....I'm trying not to think about snow shovels yet, but I know it's coming.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FL/Law
Ted I will def check out kokosing wildlife area....I'm trying not to think about snow shovels yet, but I know it's coming.

A little East of you
They measure the snowfall some days in FEET

And the cold can be nasty

So before it gets cold
Make sure your heater works
You put de iceing juice in place of the standard bug juice
Have your battery checked

And have a emegercy kit in your car if you get stuck in a snow drift

You will soon learn to love the cold
As bow hunting in early Janurary is fun
Just knock off the ice sickles off your nose every hour

John
Old 07-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

astabula has been know for big bucks so has cuyahoga. welcome to ohio! happy huntin and stay warm lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.