Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you mean by " tune" my broadheads

Old 07-02-2003, 01:45 AM

Default what do you mean by " tune" my broadheads

thining of trying muzzys.. what do you guys mean by tune your broadheads/ i' ve hard of lining your blades up w/ fletchings, but how do you do that w/ CARBON arros when you can' t heat up the glue?? may sound stupid but fixed blade sounds better than " mechanical"
Old 07-02-2003, 02:04 AM

Default RE: what do you mean by " tune" my broadheads

one more thing.. i' m thinking about switching to alums just for this reason.. how much will this slow my arrow down??? will i still be able to use a pendulum site and it be accurate? what is a pendulum that is adjustable.. i' m using a Hoyt Vortec bow.. not redline or versa cam, the other one.. 27 in draw and 70 lbs draw weight.. someone HEP...
Old 07-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to my website www.broadheadtests.com you will find some good and useful information on picking the right broadhead and tuning for broadhead accuracy.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-02-2003, 09:26 AM

There is no reason to align broadheads to your fletching - it does nothing for a well tuned bow.

More important is to make sure your bh' s and inserts are straight to the shaft. Do this by spin testing the arrow and bh to insure they spin true.

Also broadheads are much more sensitive to any mistune in your bow. Even if field points fly great a bh may not fly well at all. You will need to retune your bow for optimal bh flight.

That, in a nutshell is what is meant by bh tuning
Old 07-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no reason to align broadheads to your fletching - it does nothing for a well tuned bow.

More important is to make sure your bh' s and inserts are straight to the shaft. Do this by spin testing the arrow and bh to insure they spin true.

Also broadheads are much more sensitive to any mistune in your bow. Even if field points fly great a bh may not fly well at all. You will need to retune your bow for optimal bh flight.

That, in a nutshell is what is meant by bh tuning
Well said Rack!

As far as broadheads...there are some good mech' s available(provided you have enough KE), and plenty of good fixed available. Take a look at 5shot' s site. Good stuff.
If you tune your bow, and have the correct arrow/broadhead combination (spine/weight/staightness, etc)....you should be fine with either. There is NO reason why you shouldn' t be able to get a fixed head to fly great. Remember...if your bow is not tuned properly, just adding a mech head to get " better" flight...didn' t fix the problem. A poorly tuned setup is just that.

Good luck
Old 07-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to see how well your bow is tuned is paper tuning, consult your owner manual or eastons arrow guide is available online. You want to achieve bullet hole and no tears in the paper. The ways to correct tears is explained in easy to follow instructions with the tuning guides available. Building a paper tuner is simple, you' ll require some 1x2' s, screws, brown rolled construction paper and a few bolts with wing nuts. Build a frame that will fit the paper with 1 x 2' s, then drill holes to attach both a bottom and top paper holder. You then need to place the paper in and tighten to hold paper with the bolts and wing nuts. I have mine on a stand so I don' t worry about hitting the ground, but a bench will do the same thing. Obviously you' ll require a bunt behind to stop the arrow. If you don' t have room to shoot @ home, any proshop has the essentials to paper tune. This will ensure your bow is tuned and arrow is in proper flight. As stated do the spin test to ensure they rotate true, if not then remove that arrow from the bunch. As far as fletch aligning it means nothing to a tuned bow, mostly for looks. A way to acheive this with carbons is fletch with your BH' s on.

As far as style, as long as you have enough KE than a good mechanical will work fine for deer sized game. Fixed heads are all I use personally and I never have a problem with tuning or flight with a well tuned bow. BTW, I use Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades on a Carbon Express 300 arrows. My BH' s hit exactly where my FP' s do! If your setup does not then move your sight pins to ensure your BH' s are on....provided you have ensured your bow is tuned!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.eastonarchery.com Download their maintenance and tuning guide. It will explain a lot of what you do to tune your bow.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

From your posts it sounds like you are fairly new to this stuff so the Easton guide might be a little overwhelming. It was for me. It is a good guide but there is a lot of stuff there and if you don' t know what it all means you' ll be lost. Go to a pro shop so they can help you in person and hopefully save you a lot of frustration.

1) make sure that your arrows are properly spined for your set up.
2) make sure that your broad heads spin with no wobbeling. Take them to the pro shop with you.
3) Paper tune your bow. Any good pro shop will have a paper tune rack for you to use and should be able to give you instruction on the process.
4) After you paper tune then shoot your broadheads to see if they fly good. It will be obvious if they don' t.
5) make very small adjustments to your rest and nocking point until they either group together or are hitting where your field tips are. Preferably the latter.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:38 AM

Why is this thread Toped???

Quick Reply: what do you mean by " tune" my broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.