Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you mean by " tune" my broadheads

Old 07-03-2003, 08:05 AM
nub

Default RE: what do you mean by " tune" my broadheads

Toped?[]

The best way to see how well your bow is tuned is paper tuning
NOT! Just a starting point.

Mechanicals are very good. Remember, the bow you are shooting is a mechanical bow, not a traditional bow. At 70 lbs you have enough KE for mechanicals.
Ahhhh, the easy way out.

I think Rack put it best. They don' t need to aline with the fletch. They must spin true with no wobble at all. Your bow must be well tuned. Even if you choose a mechanical. And finally, YOU MUST PRACTICE WITH THEM!

And also like Rack; Why is this pinned to the top?

Old 07-03-2003, 08:12 AM

foot ball you should down load easton' s tuning guide and read all about it. I find it a good guide for solving the broadhead impact point problem.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:10 AM

i' m important enough to have MY topic pinned at the top? WOW THANKS! it was proba mistake but dont' tell me.....

no, i' ve been shooting for a couple of years just never have tried the spin test thing.. and i guess i need to size up my arrows w/ foc and all that good stuff.. i' ll probably go to mech heads but i' m not sure yet.. thanks in advance guys and keep em' coming.. what kind of pendulum should i use for my setup??? also, my bow is a hoyt vortec.. doesn' t have the Versa Cam or the Redline cam.. i' m shooting 70 lbs at 27 inch draw, what kind of speed can i expect from this setup??? thanks guys..

brandon
Old 07-03-2003, 11:42 AM

GO TO A PRO SHOP!!
Old 07-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Good advice here footballyplaya. Listen, you tune your bow to shoot as well as it can for you right? Well, there really is no big mystery with tuning broadheads! Tune your bow for shooting broadheads just as you were for shooting field points. 9 times out of ten a fixed blade may shoot a little lower than your field points. Generally, lowering the nock just a hair can cure that problem. Thats just one thing that may take place shooting a fixed blade.

As I said, thats whats close to 90% of shooting broadhead problems begin with. Shooting bullet holes is nice, but paper tuning is just a starting point for me and I hardly ever shoot a bullet hole. I prefer the best groups I can get out to 50-60 yards(tiller tuning). I also have my Muzzys shooting in exactly the same place as my field points. You need some help from a pro shop or experienced shooter who can give you some personal attention.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-17-2003, 05:59 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Easton Tuning Guide. Great info! And get (or make) an arrow spinner.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:33 AM

I have not noticed a difference when i allign my broad heads to my feathers.