Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestands

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Treestands

I would like to know what is the best way to get a treestand into the tree and secure after you have scaled it with climbing pegs.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be strapped to the tree with your safety harness and pull it up with a rope. You can also put in a treestep above where you want the stand and hoist it up from the ground to the right height and tie it off at the ground so you don't have to lift anything from the tree. Different situations dictate how you do it safely.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

That stand pulley system advertised on here seems pretty slick in concept but if I am going to climb that high to mount the pulley it seems it would be faster to just pull the stand up with my bow rope while my harness strap is secured around the tree in front of me. Plus if there are limbs (like in the trees I prefer which offer cover) seems to me the stand would be harder to hoist using the pulley than pulling it straight up and guiding it through the branches. I lways use ratchet straps and secure the seat portion of the stand first and then fold the platform down cinching the stand in tighter than just pulling on the strap like on Gorilla stands. I usually leave a few of my stands in place all year, just loosening up the straps after the season and then tightening before the next season to allow the tree to grow without breaking my straps or growing fast to my stand.