Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it too late?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it too late?

Is it too late to plant a new food plot? I don't know a whole lot about growing anything but It seems pretty late to me. Any input would be great. Thanks

Ryan.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year it is going to be too late. There are some plots you can plant just for the Fall as well. I like Imperial Whitetail Clover with Chicory
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are several food plot mixes you can plant in late august through sept. There are usualy tips and helpful hints on the manufacturers websites. I like to plant a mix of brassicas and oats in the fall and have clover plots that green up very early in the spring and stay attractive through november or so.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy something that establishes fast and you should be ok.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are 2 totally different kinds of foodplots, Spring plots are generally nutritional plots that maximize summertime palatablility and are needed to assist lactating Does and Bucks growing antlers... Fall plots need to be planted in late Aug/early Spet and they are formulated for maximum attraction during HUNTING season.

Most folks mess up by trying to plant and then depend on summertime plots to attract and hold animals during the Fall hunting season when in reality, these forages will be dormant and of little use to a whitetail once the first frosts cover the landscape.

One of THE most impressive Fall plots we've ever used on our properties has been Buck Forage Oats planted around Sept.1st.

So to answer your question, you still have plenty of time to have an awesome "kill plot" for this hunting season.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Cornfed! Right now, you are absolutely not too late. Hell, even just clover would be up and edible in two weeks. Focus now on plots that you want to hunt over. Plant something that is going to be palatable during hunting season, and hearty enough to still be around after some cold weather. Oats are an excellent choice.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Soybean

You can plant soybeans in mid-July (as long as it isn't a drought year) so they will provide foliage and beans into October and sometimes November. Soybeans are hardy and will last up until the first couple of frosts. They are ideal to plant with other food plot crops and can be planted from April to July at the rate of 20 to 35 pounds an acre.